THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Winchester 94 Ranger - Question?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 94 Ranger - Question?
 Login/Join

posted
I have been shooting my 94 30-30 for a while now and absolutely loving it. I've harvested pigs, feral cattle and mouflon sheep with it.

I have a question. My rifle has no safety what so ever. Not even a half cock? Is this common/normal? I believe my rifle was made sometime in the 80's. I have to be very careful hiking/stalking with one in the spout. And I end up choosing to unload the gun rather than have it ready to go. For the terrain we hunt in Hawaii shots are very close, and very quick 90% of the time.

Anyone heard of 94s with no halfcock or safety???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if yours has the safety or not. I got a 94 AE. When I use the rifle to hunt I always have a round in the chamber some might say its not safe, I wouldn't recomend this if you are not used of the 94. I don't walk around with the hammer cocked back though. If I need to shoot I just need to raise the rifle and in the process I pull back the hammer and aim and pull the trigger. When I aint packin the 94 I unload it.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't have the half cock it must have the rebounding hammer with the hammer block. It was introduced in the early 80's. The rebounding hammer sits with a gap between it and the firing pin. The hammer block will not let the hammer touch the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled. It is probably as safe as the half cock ever was. In fact the lawyers must think it is safer.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Marc,
did they ever offer the rebounding hammer without the crossbolt safety? Every rebounder I have ever seen had either the crossbolt safety or a tang safety. I've never seen a rebounder without a safety.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have an AE that has the rebounder and does not have the cross bolt or tang safety.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Learn something new every day!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It sounds like me and you have the same rifle Marc. Can you explain this 'rebounding hammer' a little more clearly? Thanks a bunch...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ev, I have some pictures I will post later of the trigger mechanism. A picture is worth a thousand words.