Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble with Marlin
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Gosh, I have been having trouble with my stainless Marlin 45-70. I bought it last spring and have only shot it at the range. Nothing hot, just up to 28,000 psi. First the forearm cracked so we had to send it back to Marlin. When they shipped it back, they just tossed it in a box with a little bit of packing. Well, in transit, the stock got broken. My dealer noticed it right away and when I went to pick it up, I cycled the action once and that was it. The broken stock wouldn't let it cycle again. Now, back to Marlin again. I think I am done with Marlins. Thank heavens I have a BLR to fool around with.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was really stupid post. All I learned from it is that you have bad luck, and like to piss and moan.

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla:
This was really stupid post. All I learned from it is that you have bad luck, and like to piss and moan.

Huh? bewildered

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tampon twisted? hilbily

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dave: I'm very sorry to hear you had bad service from Marlin, but they just haven't been the same since Remington moved their tooling to New York.
As to Mr. dla's comment, I think he needs to take a Prozac.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16531 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are you having an unhappy childhood??

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with Dave on this.
Well the forearm broke, things do happen.

But when Marlin shipped it back, they should have packed it better...

However, I am suprized at how little protection, how cheaply packed for shipping, most factories send out their guns.

All the Marlin Levers I have handled and shot have been very good guns.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:

Undies wadded or what?

Sheesh!

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conifer:
quote:

Are you having an unhappy childhood??
yuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, well now that this thread is nearly a month old, judging by the lack of credible, useful information, I'd say my pronouncement was spot-on. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marlin has has serious QC problems since the takeover. Your problems are very common as of late. Hopefully 3rd time is the charm.

Best of luck.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmmm, well now that this thread is nearly a month old, judging by the lack of credible, useful information, I'd say my pronouncement was spot-on. Smiler

Not really, You were are are being a bit of a Prick, thats all.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:

dla:

I don't know if your "pronouncement" was spot on or not but I did want you to know that I picked up my Marlin yesterday. They replaced both the forend as well as the stock with an attractive piece of wood and while I haven't shot it yet, it appears to be cycling perfectly again.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really hope Marlin gets their act together.

or it will be the end of an era

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an 1895 SBL a year back or so, and have been extremely happy with its performance. Unfortunately, a lot of purchasers of recent Marlins have reported results similar to yours, or even worse. Marlin quality is obviously inconsistent, but there seem to be at least a few good ones slipping through.

I hope that dla gleans something from this post...otherwise it apparently has no value.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dave: Glad to hear Marlin finally made it right with you. Hope you have many years of productive use with it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16531 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
The cure for most lever action problems is the same they use on bolt guns, but folks never consider glass bedding lever actions and thats too bad, it works wonders on any lever gun.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My new 30-30 Marlin is working out for me. Hope Marlin keeps an eye on it's QC. I gave up on Taurus because of it's QC.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Dave,
The cure for most lever action problems is the same they use on bolt guns, but folks never consider glass bedding lever actions and thats too bad, it works wonders on any lever gun.

A bolt gun has a stock that the receiver sits in. A lever gun has some wood pieces that help you hang onto the receiver. What exactly is "glass bedding" on a levergun?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are many more qulified to answer your question than I, but the butt stock and it's inletting, fit, etc. when "bedded" can give a better fit and no movement when the rifle is shot. Forearm can also be "bedded" to further compliment the fit of the wood to metal. End result is an improvement in performance over an extended period of useage. Couple other pluses and one it gives you something to do during the long winter evenings and a sense of accomplishment. As to something to "hang on to the receiver..." would say all stocks perform that function be it lever, bolt, etc.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Not trying to hijack a thread but I received a new Marlin GBL I won off of Gunbroker Friday. I can honestly say that Marlin's QC has gone to shit. It has a buggered up the fore end cap and screws. I also noticed minor scratches/rub marks on barrel and magazine tube. That and the gun has the absolute worst trigger pull imaginable and a "splinter" in the laminated buttstock I had to glue. I either have to have a 'smith work this thing over or I will dump it on the market. POS!

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can thank Remington for the QC issues on your new gun. It may say Marlin, but its not the same as the Marlins from 3 years ago.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote