Find
Notify
Tools

Market for the Savage 99
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
I know that I'm probably asking the wrong group here - like asking a bunch of drug addicts if they want some crack Big Grin - but I just can't believe that Savage has not brought back the 99.

What do folks think it would cost to make using modern equipment? Would capital costs be prohibitive? Would the selling price be off the charts?

I have to think that there would be a decent market for the 99, at the right price point, of course, chambered in .243, .260, 7mm-08, .308 and .358.

IMHO, the 99 is a much better looking and handling rifle than the Browning BLR or the Winchester 95, which would be its only real competition (as truly high powered, bolt-action-caliber lever actions, I mean).

I just wonder if Savage is not missing the boat by not getting this fine lever gun back into production.

I love mine in .308, and I surely won't be giving it up any time soon!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked CEO Ron Coburn about that at the SHOT Show. To make it here in the US, and rival the quality of the old ones, they would have to retail a grand. He said there is nobody overseas they would trust it to.
Sad...

Rich

PS: you forgot 284W

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I have(or have had) Miroku, FN and Sako levers levers that lead me to believe that good quality overseas production is quite possible for the great 99.

The 1 grand price tag should not scare most off--look at the prices of the custom Marlins as well as the secondary market in the 2nd &3rd gen 1895 Brownings and Winchesters.

Also Winchester has placed the 1886 and 1895 back in limited overseas production.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dugga,

want to guess how far north of a grand those two Winchesters from the Land of the Rising Sun will be?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I asked CEO Ron Coburn about that at the SHOT Show. To make it here in the US, and rival the quality of the old ones, they would have to retail a grand. He said there is nobody overseas they would trust it to.
Sad...

Rich

Only a grand? How soon can Savage start? Nice used ones go for that in my neck of the woods. I have several but don't own any bolt Savages -- nor am I likely to. A new 99 is a different story.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by interested:
quote:
Sad...

Rich

Only a grand? How soon can Savage start? Nice used ones go for that in my neck of the woods. I have several but don't own any bolt Savages -- nor am I likely to. A new 99 is a different story.

Exactly!

It's good to know that there's someone else out there who would gladly pay a grand for a new 99.

Rotary magazine only, of course! tu2

Mike

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dugga,

want to guess how far north of a grand those two Winchesters from the Land of the Rising Sun will be?

Rich

Proposed MSRP of the 1886 Lt Wt is $1269

and the Grade 1 1895 is $1179.

So , I'd guess the rotary 99 would be $1500 more or less.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd buy a new high quality 99 at a grand. $1500 seems a bit high though.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I paid more than a grand to get exactly the 99 I wanted...A mint post-war 99RS in .250-3000. I don't know if it is really an RS or an R with the site added after the fact, and I don't care. I'm not a collector, I just like the old ones, and have been happier with my NIB Browning 71 then any beat-up Winchester 71 I've ever seen.

All that is a way to say I would definitely pay a grand for a well-made, classically-styled 99 with a rotary magazine...but make mine a .22 High Power, .303 or .300 Savage, or even a .30-30 for that matter.

Matt Romagnuolo

Posts: 100 | Location: All over, US Army | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they could/would bring back a "slim" 250-3000 it would sell... beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make it also in stainless with syt stocks I would be in the market also.

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First centerfire rifle I ever shot was a Savage 99 in .308. I was about 11 at the time. Set me back and rattled my teeth. Took a second shot, and I've been a "recoil junkie" ever since.

clap

Seems like I saw one for sale just the other day. Didn't realize they'd stopped production. Maybe I should have a second look at it?

One of Us
Picture of sjm
posted Hide Post
A 99 in 6.8SPC would be a good combination!

12x12/9.3x74R

Posts: 134 | Location: Melbourne,Victoria,Australia | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
P Dog;

Shame! A stainless and plastic M99? Oh the humanity!

Why ruin a perfectly noble combination (Blued steel and Walnut M99) with a greasy looking stainless and nappy plastic get up?

(On the other hand, a walnut stocked AR15 is as bad...)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't mean to leave off the .250-3000.

But with a twist rate that will stabilize 100 to 120 grain bullets, please.

The others mentioned are possibilities, but not so much hot market items, IMHO.

Still, I am inclined to think that Savage is so wedded to the bottom of the market, that it will take another maker to bring back the late, but great, Savage 99.

The rotary magazine alone, with its windowed catrridge counter, is a thing of amazing efficiency, function and beauty.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to visualize the exquisite 99 in a stretch version chambered for things like the 50-110...
Imagine the expanse of receiver sides for engraving!

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys have more imagination than me I want the plane jane model in 250-300 and 300 Savage. For fanciful touches it could be offered with or without the schnabel forarm.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a market for a new '99? I don't think so. Anybody looking for a rotary magazine lever gun can find an old used '99 easily. Oh sure, they'd sell a few but the levergun is mostly passe' nowadays. Wasn't the Winchester model 1894 a bigger seller than Savage's model 1899? Winchester hasn't resurrected their model. Most likely cause no one's clamoring for one anymore.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used to visualize the exquisite 99 in a stretch version chambered for things like the 50-110...

Rich

Same here,

also a larger(longer) 1895 Winchester

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
OKAY!
now you got my attention,
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
quote:

Rich

Same here,

also a larger(longer) 1895 Winchester

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
There was a rumor floating around a year or 2 back that Savage was going to remake the 99. I guess the CEO's reply means "No".

Bummer.

I would pay slightly more than 1k for one if they made them RIGHT. They would have to avoid the temptation to let their lawyers "redesign" the gun like Miroku did on the Winchesters.

I would like one in 250 Savage, and one in 300 Savage. Properly made, like the originals, with the "good" rotary magazines please.

You can keep your stainless and plastics stocks as far as I'm concerned... Uhhgg. Just don't belong on that application. Someone wanting that configuration would be just as happy buying a "new" Marlin in stainless laminate.

Put me down for 2 99's (three if they'll do one in 303 Savage). Where do I send my deposit?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Count me out.

Its too easy to find a good used one. Stay away from the 250 takedowns and include a trip to Ahlamn's and you get a tuned classic at or under your grand wish.

Gotta remember Savage has pulled itself back from the brink of disaster with the floating bolt headed, barrel nut bearing 110. A very accurate firearm priced for the masses.

They have brought about more than a few great and new ideas, but still produce a bolt gun at or near 300 bucks. I doubt you will ever see a new 99, goes to far against a business plan that works for them.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote