New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 Marlin Questions??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a chance to pick up a ported 450 Marlin. Has anyone had first hand expierence with this gun/cartridge combo? The gun feels good but I have heard the 450 in the 18.5 inch ported barrel is a bear to handle. I was looking for a 444 but this one came up at a great price. Any input would be appreciated........Thanks

Posts: 258 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim50, a great price...

If you have the $ then think of it in a convaluted way that I do:

If you have no other pressing need to put the $ else where...450 wins

Will you loose money if you spend it on the 450, if not 450 wins!

Ported model's well I shoot the ported 444 and I wear earplugs regardless if ported or not. When I am game hunting no one is on either side of me to say complain about the noise....

What is current wholesale on the Marlin guide version now...vs...what you are paying? If the price is right, 450 wins.

besides if the price is RIGHT you can return the rifle to Marlin and have the longer barrel put on for a nominal cost.

I'd love to get a 450 with the longer barrel and I think with the longer barrel the 450 will shine and 45-70 owners will have to expand their wisdom base ...if they made it in stainless I'd get one in a heart beat.

Beside ya can't have too many guns...can ya?

There was a lot of hype about the noise from a ported model...but no one ever presented technical date to prove it is worse than a non-ported model. Who in their right mind would want to stand near the muzzle of a fiream when it's going off anyway?

About the recoil...I've read the KickEzz pad does wonders for any rifle and since the price is right you'll have money to put K E pad on....

Well if you don't want it send it my way...I'll send it to Marlin and have them put on the longer barrel...if the price as you say is RIGHT..

I suspect in few years these ported model will have appreciated in value over their bretheren.....I've almost got a complete set of all ported models..

I've got some trade'n stock in guns plus a wife, two kids and a deaf hunting dog...

REGARDS
MIKE

Posts: 1820 | Location: USA, Omaha, Nebr | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
450 marlin is a bear to handle in any rifle. The porting should help. I have a H&R ultera in 450 with a 22 in bar and no porting. IT HURTS TO SHOOT!

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 45-70 guide gun was a bear until i installed a
pachmayr decellerator recoil pad.The stock marlin pad is like a brick!

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on what RiflemanZ said. With a proper recoil pad I don't find a hot loaded 45/70 uncomfortable at all and the porting should help in the recoil department anyway. If the 450 is at a bargain price then buy it and a set of reloading dies, stock up on cases (just in case) and be happy in your choice.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote