THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    300 grain barnes busters in 444 marlin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 grain barnes busters in 444 marlin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wanting to try 300 grain 44 cal barnes busters in my 444 marlin but at $94 a box of 50 i thought i would ask if any one had any feed back (good, bad or indifferent) on them before i lash the cash on them.
i was thinking of using them on water buffs and scrub bulls on my next trip to the northern territory.

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quality gas checked hard cast lead would be just as good at far less cost. Cast Performance makes good bullets.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
wwodrow s - "Cast Performance makes good bullets."

So does Beartooth Bullets. The owner of the small company is a big fan of the .444 and has a lot of reloading advice on it.

www.beartoothbullets.com

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys.
My 444 has a mirco grove barrel and was told they were no good with cast lead.
From what i read the barnes buster is a heavy jacketed fmj that will allow me to drive them hard and use to flatern big game

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Micro groove shoots hard cast with gas checks just fine. All you have to do is remember to order them .001 or 002 larger diameter. This is normal and most cast makers offer larger optional diameters.

I don't have a 444 but I have multiple 45-70, 450M and a 458 Win Mag that I run cast through accurately. Two of the Marlin 45-70s have micro and I order bullets at .459 instead of .458 and run the same ones through everything.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hornet nick:
but at $94 a box of 50

All I can say is WOW! I thought it was bad enough that they're priced at $48 per 50 here in the states. Thus being the reason that I've stuck with hard cast lead.

Posts: 124 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote