New
Find
Notify
Tools

41 Remington mag in marlin 1894
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for some leads on where to start. When my cousin passed last year his son asked if I would be interested in any of his dad's rifles. The marlin was my first choice. Well I got the call last week and picked it up. It has a leupold 6x mounted. I am hoping to get my daughter into deer hunting with this eventually. For me though I am looking to shoot the 210 xtp bullet for deer. I have h110, w296, 700x, imr4227, longshot and two or three other Winchester powders that I don't recall the numbers. I am not opposed to buying other bullets either thanks for any help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a whole lot of IMR 4227 behind the Remington 210-grain jacketed soft point, as well as behind my own hard cast Lyman 410459. I used a standard primer and a reasonable crimp, and the load was more accurate in my Model 57s than I could hold.

I have no doubts it will be a tack driving load in that Marlin behind those XTPs. You will get a few partially burned kernels of powder I suspect, but that never bothered me in the slightest.

Good luck!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with a JSP for sure I like h110 in pistol cal carbines

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Take good care of that rifle! If it the 1894CB and has the 24" barrel, it is destined for collector status. They didn't make many.

I have a S&W M57 in 41 mag and it shoots pretty much anything to the same point of impact at 25 yards.
I even have a Trailboss load I use for steel plate shooting at 80 yards with it. It's a fine, very accurate and under rated cartridge.

I've only taken one deer with mine, and I used the Sierra 210 HP.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
unfortunately it is only a 1894c. it belonged to my late cousin and I have no plans on letting it go. It has sparked an interest in hunting by my 9 year old daughter. So it will be her go to rifle from now on. plus just plain fun to shoot. I have plenty of brass. I picked up several thousand when I bought a Taurus titanium 2.5" for a backup gun in the high country.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only shot one deer with a 41 mag, a mod. 58 S&W and with Factory Rem ammo, right after they hit the counters...A big buck looking at me at a slight angle at about 75 yards, took a rest, shot and he dropped and never kicked..I don't recall the intrance hole but would almost have to low in the neck, it took out six inches of backstrap and spine and layed it wide open, looked like hamburger, I was pretty much in awe!

From that day on the 41 mag. has been my favorite pistol round, and Ive seen it perform to perfection in many instances. Your rifle is rare as hens teeth, and will only become more valuable year after year.

If you ever decide to sell it I have an acre or two in downtown Dallas I'll trade ya! dancing nilly

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the offer but with only 350 in this rifle and the interest my 9yoa daughter has shown I think it will be here a while.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any 41 Mag caliber in a marlin is worth over a grad and more. Check out Gun Broker.

PAH

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
check out the henry line. they have now offered their Big Boy steel levers in .41 rem mag.

Posts: 8 | Location: sand springs, ok. | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you mean by 1894c marlin in 41 magnum. Marlin has made four models in 41 Magnum, the first was the 1894S with 24" round barrel, then they made the stainless steel trapper with 16" barrel, then the 1894CCL with 20" octagon barrel and latest was the 1894FG with 20" round barrel and pistol grip stock/lever; the first three models all had the straight stock/lever. Production counts are usually given as 500, 250, 1000 & 1000 respectively.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct this is the 1894s not c