New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Winchester XTR Big Bore
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey all I got a chance to pick up one of these. According to the info from the seller, the gun was built in 1978, and has never been fired. I have seen pics and it appears to be perfect condition.

So anybody care to advise on components to make this thing work? I will of course be handloading, once I acquire brass, dies, etc...

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use the 220gr Hornady FP bullet.

Hornady states taht Reloader 7 gives the best accuracy [2.5" at 100 yards] and the highest velocity.
Start with 34 grains, they show 38gr as max for 2200fps.

I have used this bullet in my 375 H&H in reduced loads on deer with perfect results.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^ Thanks!

I picked up RCBS dies and No.2 shell holder tonight, off eBay.

The brass could be somewhat harder to get hold of...

N E 450 No2, have you ever used Woodleigh 235gr Weldcore in the .375? They list a design velocity 1900-2800fps. So I believe they are meant for the .375H&H, but I'm thinking they would almost act like a non-expanding solid at .375Win velocity. Close range on a big black bear they might work okay.

I have a source for those bullets.

What!?

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
winchester makes the brass so no problems finding it.
in my 375 marlin and my BB win they will both easily take the shorter win 38-55 brass but need a bit of trimming for the longer starline 38-55 brass.
the hornady fp and the sirra fp are the only two jaxketed bullets available.
i have three others and i'm gonna add a 4th cast boolit option shortly.
these range from 250 to 300 grs.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Barnes still lists 2 of their excellent "original" lead core bullets in .375 bore, both 255 gr, one is for the 375 Win, and the other is for the 38-55. Both are flat nose, but the canelure is farther forward on the 38-55 bullet. Both should open for you real well at Win velocities.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not seen that bullet in person, is the flat nose large enough to be used in a tubular magazine?

I do know the Hornady bullet is a good one. I would not hesitate to shoot a black bear with it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at pics of the Woodleigh Protected Point bullet on their website. It is a flat point.

I'm going to get some anyway, to try. Maybe I'll find they are too stout, not a wide enough point for the tube magazine. Cross that bridge when I get to it, eh?

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Yes the Barnes 375 Win bullet has a wide enough flat nose to not be a problem in a tube mag. The 38-55 bullet is a bit narrower, and may end up seated out too far to feed from the mag anyway. I've been looking at the bullets for a couple of single shots I load for, but haven't tried them yet.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have shot every bullet in the 375 win from 200 to 300 gr bullets.The flat nose can be used as repeaters .The spiral points as single shots.My favorite single shot load is the 235 gr speer bullet.I like the aa1680 powder the best in the 375 win.It is alot faster than reloader 7 with all bullets I tried.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes,for the Ruger #3 and Sav.99, the 235 speer is fine.. 200 Sierra or 220 Hornaday for the tube mag.repeaters,or one of the many fine cast bullets out there....Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote