THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    What parts and where to obtain for Marlin M1895?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What parts and where to obtain for Marlin M1895?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to convert my straight grip stainless steel M1895 to pistol grip. I cannot identify parts numbers for the Trigger Guard Plate correct for pistol grip stainless steel M1895. I do not know whether tang screw must be correct for the Trigger Guard Plate. I am unsure what other parts, excluding lever, are required -- if any. . . . But wait, there's more.

Neither Midway nor Brownell's shows any Trigger Guard Plate being available at retail. I have been trying to reach Marlin's Customer Service for more than one week. They have a nifty system. No E-mails, and one telephone line. I am unable to get past the waiting que.

Are conversion parts, particularly the Trigger Guard Plate, gunsmith-only available?
Is there a stainless steel pistol grip lever whose lever is larger than Marlin's without being grotesquely oversized?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
The trigger guard plate is a factory only item.
Not even us gunsmiths can get it.
The factory will convert it for you if the stainless parts are avaiable.

Tang screw is the same.

I don't have any information about a slightly oversize lever.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty answered one part of your question....as for the second part, you might try Wild West Guns..they have a website, but are a REAL pain in the a** to deal with, or try Jim Brockman, Brockman's Custom Rifles. Brownells used to list a couple in their catalog, you can also try that. Good luck.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I converted a 336SS from pistol grip to straight grip. I will PM you with some details.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Marlin:
The trigger guard plate is a factory only item.
Not even us gunsmiths can get it.
The factory will convert it for you if the stainless parts are avaiable.

Tang screw is the same.

I don't have any information about a slightly oversize lever.
Rusty:

Many thanks for your information. A follow-up question. The 336SS LTD 35 Remington and the M1895 XLR are both pistol grip stainless steel 336 basis actions. Are their Trigger Guard Plates and Levers the same part numbers respectively? Jeff Sullivan (previous reply) will trade if parts the same. The M1895 XLR appears to be the only M1895 45-70 stainless steel with pistol grip.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
First, the 336SS LTD is straight gripped like the 1895GS. I actually have a 336SS which is pistol gripped, and yes, the 1895XLR is the only stainless 1895 that I know of with a pistol grip.

What I did was trade parts with a guy that had a 336SS LTD and converted my 336SS to straight grip.

Here is a picture.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Yes the 336 and 95 trigger plates and levers are the same and interchangable.

You'll just need to get a pistol grip stock, easy to get from Numrich or Brownells.

I went through this for a customer back in 2003-4 ish but for a 94. I made a custom pistol grip '94 about a year before Marlin did. I used a 336 psitol grip stock, welded a wedge on teh rear of the tang that was fitted to the stock, and hand fordged a straight grip lever to round with pistol grip curve.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Marlin:
Yes the 336 and 95 trigger plates and levers are the same and interchangable.

You'll just need to get a pistol grip stock, easy to get from Numrich or Brownells.

I went through this for a customer back in 2003-4 ish but for a 94. I made a custom pistol grip '94 about a year before Marlin did. I used a 336 psitol grip stock, welded a wedge on teh rear of the tang that was fitted to the stock, and hand fordged a straight grip lever to round with pistol grip curve.
I just visited Mdiway's web site, did a search for DRC. Mr. Clay makes distinct levers for 336 and M1895 pistol grip actions. Prices are the same blued steel or stainless steel, but part numbers are distinct.

7/23/08 12:40 PM -- I just confirmed that 336SS trigger guard plates interchange correctly, and levers do not.

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
7/23/08 12:40 PM -- I just confirmed that 336SS trigger guard plates interchange correctly, and levers do not.

To whom it may concern, the 1895 lever functions perfectly in my 336.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Sullivan:
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:

To whom it may concern, the 1895 lever functions perfectly in my 336.
Jeff:

I'm pleased the 1895 lever I sent you works. Makes me wonder why Marlin does not make the minor change in their levers to have all internal machining comply with the 1895's profile. This would simplify production while simultaeously fostering interchangeability of all 336/1895 levers, as occurs with trigger guard plates versus the one-way interchangeability that now occurs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
First, the 336SS LTD is straight gripped like the 1895GS. I actually have a 336SS which is pistol gripped, and yes, the 1895XLR is the only stainless 1895 that I know of with a pistol grip.

What I did was trade parts with a guy that had a 336SS LTD and converted my 336SS to straight grip.

Here is a picture.

Nice looking rig there Jeff that looks like a nice Fixed Classic Schmidt Bender on that Rifle ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Nice looking rig there Jeff that looks like a nice Fixed Classic Schmidt Bender on that Rifle ??

Nope. Just a plain old Zeiss Conquest 3-9.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PC:

Well thats still an awsome scope at any rate !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PC:

Well thats still an awsome scope at any rate !!

Thanks. The angle of the picture is terrible and doesn't do him justice. He weighed 250 lbs.
Here is a 300 pounder that I killed in January.