Find
Notify
Tools

Help with my 336 "project gun"?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
I have a Glenfield 30-30 and the opportunity to rebarrel it with a J.C. Higgins 30-30 barrel recently acquired. There is a difference in the barrels that may or may not matter and I was hoping someone conversant in Marlin matters could help me out. The Glenfield/Marlin barrel has a hood behind the threads that looks like a feed assist while the Higgins/Marlin is flush.

The Higgins barrel is cut-rifled and that's the appeal. Elsewise I would swap it out for a regular Marlin configuration.

Does anyone know for sure whether the shroud is a must-have or will the Higgins barrle work? Thanks in advance, Harry.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Ask your question here;
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

Kon and Tomray were Marlin factory workers in production. They can tell you exactly why they are different and what if any modifications are needed.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I did and got my answer, too. It is a feeding assist but won't be necessary as long as I don't try to cycle upside down. It's a push-feed anyway, so I won't tax it like that stir. I didn't think about Marlin forums until I got this one up. If nothing new pops up I'll delete this in a day or two.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
glad you got the info you needed. Please post a photo when you have the gun done! tu2

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No more shooting your Marlin while hanging upside down from the wing of a biplane doing loops.

Tiggertate,
Did this barrel come from one of the used parts suppliers? I would like to snag a 30-30 cut rifled barrel.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Sorry but no, it came from the classifieds as a take-off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a microgroove barrel if anyone wants that.