Find
Notify
Tools

New Winchester/Miroku 1892
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted
I decided, that I need a new lever action rifle. One must say, it's very difficult to get a new Winchester rifle here in Germany. Especial with a octagonal barrel.
At the moment, there's a new Winchester 1892 short rifle with the round barrel for sell. .357Magnum..... Price is about 1350€. One of the 1 of 500 rifles, chambered for the .32-20, with octagonal barrel, for 1650, I lost. I was not fast enought.....

Buy or not buy......

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Those sure are some nice looking rifles, I just wish Winchester still made them.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I have original Winchester rifles and rifles made by Miroku. They all seem to be of good quality. My 1892 was made more than 100 years ago and still works fine, as do my Miroku made 1886 and 1895 rifles.
Good quality and good care make for long lasting guns.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Miroku browning and Winchester 1892's in 44 mag and 45 Colt are serious hunting rifles. The 357 is capable enough, but the 44 and 45, especially with heavy 300+ grain bullets, makes these the equal of the original 1886 45-90 black powder express load. Such loads in the 45 Colt are +P and operate at around 30k psi. The Miroku 1892's are capable of a good deal more pressure than that, but they lose their fun factor well below the +p loads. If you handload the two big bores you have the flexibility of running 200 grain gallery loads up to 300+ grain Elk and Moose loads. If hunting is not your thing, and you don't handload, the 357 mag is the most sensible, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replays.
I' m not a hunter. I need the rifle only for targetshooting at 25m and 50m. Big bores I have enough in my safes. And the .357 is easy to reload. And easy to buy.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Today, I got my new toy!

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Looks like a winner.
Let us know how it shoots.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My granddads rifle is a mod. 92 rifle in 38-40, the bore is rough as a cobb but it shoots 2.5 inches at 100 yards with iron sights..not to shabby for a rifle with a serial number of 178, first year of production purchased through the state of texas when he was a Texas Ranger for the high dollar price of $7.50, with payments of 20 cents a month. The colt six shooter cost him $14.50 and 40 cents a month..He gave them to me and said I owed him $22.00, but allowed I probably didn't need to pay him for awhile. Smiler I ended up with all his Ranger guns, and will be putting them in the Ranger hall of fame probably this summer.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
My granddads rifle is a mod. 92 rifle in 38-40, the bore is rough as a cobb but it shoots 2.5 inches at 100 yards with iron sights..not to shabby for a rifle with a serial number of 178, first year of production purchased through the state of texas when he was a Texas Ranger for the high dollar price of $7.50, with payments of 20 cents a month. The colt six shooter cost him $14.50 and 40 cents a month..He gave them to me and said I owed him $22.00, but allowed I probably didn't need to pay him for awhile. Smiler I ended up with all his Ranger guns, and will be putting them in the Ranger hall of fame probably this summer.

Ray, that is neat! I find that sort of thing super interesting! I'm a big fan of Lonesome Dove and am currently reading Hell, I Was There - another amazing story (and true!).

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
So, I´m very satisfeed with the rifle. Very smooth action and no problems in function with factory or hand load ammo.
Here´s the best group I shoot today.

It´s a handload with 7grs N320 behind a 125grs XTP/HP. I tested also some 158grs Sierra HP and the Geco factory HP-ammo, with the same good results.