THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    How accurate is the average Marlin 1895G
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How accurate is the average Marlin 1895G
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How accurate is the average Marlin 1895G - 45-70.
I was thinking of getting one of these, as a brush rifle for deer / and just for kicks. (no pun intended)
What kind of 100 yard accuracy should one expect from this rifle, out of the box?

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an 1895 (first version with the curved buttplate designed by a sadist) and 22" barrel. All I shoot in mine is cast lead and accuracy averages out to 1.5" at 100 yards using a receiver sight. I might bring it down a bit using a scope, but it's good enough for me the way it is.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's very accurate with the right load. I've taken a number of game animals with mine and I love it. A 1.5" group at 100 is very common and is sufficient for a 200-yard big bore caliber.

Posts: 34 | Location: Miles City, Montana | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 1895G (ported barrel) averages 1.5" or less with 400gr Speer FNSP @ 1840 fps. Plenty good enough for me. I was shooting 300 gr Hornadys before with about equal accuracy. The 400 gr loads seem to shove more than kick. Maybe the recoil velocity slowed with the slower load. I'm not sure but I can sure tell the difference on my shoulder.

A friend also has a ported 1895G and his is every bit as accurate as mine.

BTW, both wear T/C Recoil Proof 4x scopes. They aren't the brightest scopes but they have stood up well and there short OAL makes them look at home on the Guide Gun. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not have the Guide gun version but the average one., but I guess accuracy vice their much the same.

Mine shoots about 1,5" at 100 meters with Speer 350grs Mag tips and 350 North Fork FN.

I solely use the North Forks now since I can handle anything from roe deer to big bears with the same load. It opens from 1200f/s and still hold more than 90% retained weight if shot in a 458 Win mag at 2600f/s.

I have loaded mine with 51grs of VV N-133 and get more than 1900f/s .

Really nice load if your like me. One gun- one load for all game. Maybe I have gotten lazy these past few years....

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you'd call mine average, or stock as I've had the barrel cut back some, but;

http://www.cylindersmith.com/45-70LINK.html

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say your rifle is nothing like average. Impressive!

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How bout postin' some pics of them beautiful shootin' irons..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, The marvelous reports you are getting make me fear my Guide Gun escaped the factory before Final QC. My Mjolnir is good for three inches with its iron sights (aperture rear and post front) and will shoot around two inches, sometimes better, wearing a 4x glass. I have no complaints. Good hunting! McB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is my 45-70G with a Leupold vari-x II 1x4 20mm scope.This gun Rocks! I shoot whitetails thru the front shoulder at 20yds with a cp 420gr hcgc bullet with IMR-4198

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Personally Im not a big fan of dot sights on hunting guns. I've used many different types, from $40 to $450 and always had problems with "dot blinding" in the dark woods and at dusk and dawn. Not being able to see the target because of the light of the not. (Even with NV compatable ones you can turn down so far you cant see them with the naked eye)

If dusk and dawn aren't a concern, a dot might work fine. Scopes are a personal matter, the scope on that gn is just a spare 2x Bushnell pistol scope I had laying around. I'm not a fan of Leupold myself, never impressed by the optics or brightness of them. I still have one rifle scope left, and I keep it because it was on a certain gun when I got it. My Leupold pistol scopes were sold off and replaced with socalled "cheaper" models. A 1.5x5 would probably work well, it would keep you eyes from wanting to shoot farther than your gun. I can still shoot tiny groups (for a 45-70 levergun) with the 2x.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned 2 and worked extensively with another. I say it is very fair to call them 1.5" guns. The two I owned (still own one) would routinely group their favorite loads under an inch.

I wish I had the technological know how to post pictures. I'd show you several groups almost as nice as Cas's groups. Accomplished with bone stock rifle and a 2.5X Simmons shotgun scope.

Cas: Have you found your better 3 shot groups with your 45-70 almost always have two holes touching then one slightly off? I have about 6 different targets I have saved. Every one has two holes touching and one off. Same can't be said for any of my other calibers. They end up in more of what I call a triangle configuration.

Paul

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Paul, most of them are that way, two and one. Though I don't recall how they're falling out. (2 together then the third off? 1 off, 2 together? Dunno)

As far as the Loopy's.. as for the one I still own, I don't know what it is offhand. The other's I've OWNED and sold were LER's, though I've used bunches of them on other rifles. I didn't say they were "bad" (in general anyway, I have used one dark stinker)... but I've never been impressed on the whole with the image quality to cost ratio.