Find
Notify
Tools

Dating a savage...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
.....no, not the girlfriend Wink..., a Savage 99 lever action, take-down in .22 Hi-Power, rotary magazine,cartridge indicator window and curved steel buttplate with the Savage indians head ....S.N. 203***.....???????

Roger

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6433 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Very cool, Roger! Is it yours? Photos? Love that caliber.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16524 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
cool...I've got a 99 year old 99 Smiler....yes, I picked it up about 30 years ago and never did much with it, so I thought I might tidy the 'ol girl up a bit and maybe even make a 25-35 barrel to fit...should be able to without changing anything in the rifle......pics to follow, thanks

Roger

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've dated some Savages myself, usually they just ended up with my money, a few times money and a car, last one I married and she ended up with cash, cars, a home, horse trailer and some rental property.....
I am not a quick learner.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
...pretty ordinary pic, but you get the idea....there was a crack behind the tang but its been repaired, there are also holes where a tang sight used to be but when I got it the 'rings were already attached.

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
The neighbor had one like that hanging on a pair of deer horns.

When I was over there helping make hay I would drool over it. From then on I wanted a 22 high power.

Never did get one.

Did have a 250-3000 takedown and use it on deer. When it developed head space problems we sent it back to Savage to get it fixed.

Was stolen in route if I was looking for one now I would stay away from take down ones because of the head space troubles.

But they are cool rifles.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have owned them; never could love them. I made a 410 barrel for a takedown once....
On the female savage end, I ended up marrying one of those and she has NOT mellowed with age. When you are young it is fun and a challenge; When you are old it is just painful.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The headspace problem usually has nothing to do with the Savage 99, its caused by overloads in some cases take down or not, and maintenance when they shoot a bit loose, fix them ASAP to avoid the problem..I have a 99 Take Down, 1922, that shoots better than my bench rest 222, really it does, with almost any load it shoots most every load into 1/2 inch and one or two loads into the .2XX at 100 yards..Its amazing, beautiful and in fine condition. I would never sell that gun..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
......running a little off track with my own thread here, but does anyone have one of these early 99's in 25-35.....opinions ??

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
the girl i dated turned into a savage after i married her.......................................

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive owned them in Savages in 25-35 back in the 1950s, but they were old pawn shop junkers made in the early 1900s. Today one in decent condition fetches a fancy price..

I love the caliber and have a couple in .25/35 Winchesters..I cut my teeth on the 25/35 Win mod 94 SRC/ Shot many deer and half a dozen elk with one, keep the shots under 200 yards and there is no room for mistakes or your tracking skills will be tested to the limit. I use them on whitetail and mule deer even today, but not on elk, but I wouldn't not hesitate to use them again on elk if I had to, but I would be at a definite disadvantage in that a 25-35 sure will test your hunting skills, and you success rate will suffer..no more 300 to 400 yard elk.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote