THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Win 71 newbie- Have some questions...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 71 newbie- Have some questions...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently found a very nice pre-war Win 71 deluxe I could actually afford after years of lusting for one dancing. But not having any 71 experience, I was hoping you fine gents could help me with a few questions.

1. The bolt peep has a round knurled height adjustment knob on it, but I can't get it to budge in either direction. Is it stuck? Or do I need to loosen something else 1st??

2. The action feels nice and tight and locks up solid, but the action seems to want to open up with very little pressure on the lever, or when I bring up the rifle to shoulder just a minimal amount of fwd pressure on the lever will cause the action to try to open. Is this normal for 71s, or does something need to be adjusted or replaced??

3. Any suggestions on where to get a detailed parts breakdown and assembly/ disassembly instructions including lube points, etc ?

4. What did these originally come with for the grip cap? Mine has a white line spacer and then what appears to be the original Wincheter cap.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'll try to take some pics and post them this weekend.

Posts: 139 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would put some Kroil on the threads of the windage elevation screw and wait a day or so. Someone may have put LocTite on it.

I have one and the lever on mine does not do that.

I bought a takedown manual on eBay but I can't remember the seller's name. They are on there all the time though.

Someone probably "customized" the grip cap by adding a piece of Clorox bottle. I did that to some of my rifles in my young and stupid days. You should be able to remove that easily enough.

Thanks...Bill.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway has a pretty good takedown manual for $4.09. Radocy takedown guide for "Winchester 71". Product # 368716

DRSS Member

Posts: 96 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was a common practice some years back to add that wonderfull littly white spacer, it was the rage..take it off and toss it, its ugly...

The .348 is a great cartridge with 250 gr. bullets..It is very effective at close range. I have owned a number of the deluxe models and a carbine or two..sold them all as they got higher in price, should have kept them I suppose but thats hindsight..

Most of them are not very accurate, if you get one that is, hang onto it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They altered the two locking bolts with a slight curve or bow to them to make the action slicker and it makes it open easier than the 1886, but they spring, expecially on full power loads and sometimes it will unlock on firing.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote