Tools

Hornady Leverlution?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just saw that Midway is selling them.

30/30 = $14.99

35 Rem. = $16.79

Have any of you bought some yet? If so, what's the overall lenght of a 30/30 cartridge? Wanna know that it fits the mag in my sons 340 before I order.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I can't say if it will fit, but the logic says it has to . Hornandy is a SAAMI registered company, that means they produce their products to SAAMI spec. Its going to fit in any standard .30-30, they have to make the ammo to do so unless its very clearly marked on the package that it won't and there are very few ammo makers that make specialty stuff that is firearm exclusive, Garret, and COR-BON come to mind, but they list the exclusions very boldly.

I'm equally sure that if you purchased a box and it didn't fit your sons 340, Hornady would want to know about it.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Rusty. I'm equally curious just how much memory the polymer tips really have. As in= If I kept a tube fed in my truck loaded for a month, would it retain it's pointed tip, or would it take a new flat tip shape. Wonder if the tip would mash to one side and stay that way, seems that would make for accuracy problems. Oh well, guess I gotta buy a box and test such things.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the sxs pic, it does appear to be longer, but should work just fine.

http://hornady.primediaoutdoors.com/HDstory1.html

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leverevolution.htm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hat's off to Hornady. They have a sharp marketing guy seeing the potential for all the lever actions out there. And the last article above sure showed they have pretty much got done what they say they have as far as accuracy and velocity goes. AND THE PRICE IS RIGHT for what they've done too.
Re tips being bent a little--that won't affect accuracy at all...just a little less appealing to the eye if indeed it does happen.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Confused

I am getting back into shooting in Australia.

For those who may not be Australian residents, for the last 15 years appx. we have had incredibly restrictive gun laws imposed upon us. Doubtless this has been mentioned in previous comments years ago.

I am getting back in buy initially purchasing a quality .22LR and a .223 or .243.

What has always captured my imagination is the lever action of lone gone " Rifleman" days; even Rifleman himself is now gone.

I need a highish ( it is all relative) calibre 30/30 for pig shooting and also my game association permits target, moving , comps with lever action weapons: a lot more fun than bolt actions.

I had planned ,and probably still will proceed to purchase a Marlin SS 30/30 . I simply , amongst other aspects, prefer its appearance to the new range of Hornady friendly magnum type XPR? levers.

Naturally, one feature of the new Hornady ammo is that it will shoot further, and more accurately. My 30/30 shooting does really require 150 yd MOAs. However, the new ammo may be of interest as the Australian importers of Marlin plan to start importing the XPR asap.

Could other members please advise as to how much more recoil a shooter could expect using the the new 30/30 ammo. As it can be used interchangebly with standard 30/30 ammo, it has some appeal. However, having used old SMLE .303s which kicked like a mule, if the recoil were to be at that level, much of the enjoyment of using the new ammo would be lost on this shooter for one.

Look foward to your comments

Posts: 65 | Location: Australia- Melbourne | Registered: 04 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Cudlipp:
Confused

Could other members please advise as to how much more recoil a shooter could expect using the the new 30/30 ammo.

Bugger all, I would expect. As far as I know It's fairly standard, between the usual 170gr and 150gr projectile. The "improvement" is in the balistic performance due to the pointy bit.

Anyway, if need be heavy up your rifle, and get a good recoil pad. (my 30-30 replacement one cost $A72.00)
have fun.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote