THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Any Winchester 1894 experts in here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Winchester 1894 experts in here?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm having a lot of fun playing with and researching some collectable type lever actions I bought. To my chagrin a great local gun/pawn shop is closing it's doors and the owner hauled out a bunch of levers he'd been "putting back". I am not really a gun collector, but rather a modern style gun shooter, but these old levers were just too neat to pass up as well as being reasonably priced, so I brought quite a few of them home with me. No telling how many hundreds of deer they've accounted for. Mostly Winchesters but 4 Marlins.

One of them is kind of cool, at least to me, it the 41st to LAST Winchester Model 73 ever manufactured, made in 1922. It's a .32-20. Of course I found this info out after I got home. Decent but not great condition for being about 86 years old.

Which brings me to my question/dilemma.....one of the rifles is definitely a pre-64 Model 1894 in .32 WS. HOWEVER, it just doesn't feel "right" (and I make no claims to being a Winchester expert, but did deal in and collect rare coins for years so am used to seeing fakes/alterations). At any rate, there is no doubt it is a pre-64, has a serial number of MAYBE 1108** which would put it made in 1897. I THINK the serial number is probably L108**but it could be LL10** but I can't find any reference for that type number. Gun doesn't feel right, is very well blued with minimal damage. I am almost certain it is not reblued.....I've seen plenty of reblues and if this one is reblued, I want to find the guy, he's an artist.

Inscription on barrel reads "MADE IN NEW HAVEN, CONN. U. S. OF AMERICA" then below that --"WINCHESTER PROOF STEEL"--, back toward receiver is typical scroll -"Winchester" with "trade mark" below it. Then more toward receiver -Model 94-32 W.S.-.

Tang on receiver says, Model 1894, then centered Winchester then on side opposite model 1894 it says "PAT. AUG 21 1894". Rear stock seems correct with curved steel butt plate.

Any ideas, new barrel? What? My opinion is that the barrel inscription is just not right for a 1897 gun plus condition is too good although it does match the receiver, including the proof marks lining up and looking the same. Possibly refinished receiver with new barrel? I dunno, hopefully someone else can shed some light on the topic.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How close are you to Collector's Firearms on Fondren St in Houston? They are experts.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the numbers, but I do know of at least two guys that can do a reblue that is nearly impossible to detect. But I agree with rcasto. Cheers

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 32 Special was introduced in 1902.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cowboykell:
The 32 Special was introduced in 1902.

My sources say the first 1894 was chambered in .32 Special in 1895.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato, take your question to http://www.winchestercollector.org/forum/index.php
You will find some very knowledgeable folks there.

Good luck, and good find.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Cartridges of the World" 9th edition states 1902.