Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Help with sights
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
With the Ashley, you will definitely want to use their front sight. It works best as a set.

One advantage of the Willams sights is they're low enough that you can usually get away with using the factory front sight, but the Ashley's raise the line-of-sight enough that a higher post is desirable.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Can anyone here help me? I have a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem that I want to take the scope off and put on a nice peep sight. I saw two on midway that will bolt to the scope holes on the top of the receiver. One is the 5D-336 and the other is the FP 336. What is the difference between the two and which one do you reccommend? I looked at both pictures and really couldn't tell much difference between the two except the FP-336 is twice the $$. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 6 | Location: Ft Drum, NY | Registered: 18 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you are referring to Williams "receiver sights" by your model numbers, and they screw into holes drilled and tapped in the receiver sidewall--not the top side scope mount holes. I have a Lyman receiver sight on my Marlin 1894CL, and I much prefer aperture ("peep") sights to the open factory sights on my lever rifles. Marlin lever rifles are among the few still made with drilled and tapped receivers to accomodate receiver sights like those made by Lyman and Williams.

There are a couple aperture sight models that use the top side screw holes or ring dovetails as well. I have one of these for the Ruger rifles on my #1 x 45-70, made by New England Custom Guns.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One is click-adjustable and the other one, the 5D, isn't. "Get the click adjustable," the Voice of Experience says

Posts: 108 | Location: Northcentral Louisiana | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Williams now makes the FP to mount in the rear two scope mount holes as Marlin no longer drills and taps the side of the receiver for sights in many rifles. There are actually three Williams receiver sights for the Marlin now, the 5D, FP and WGRS. The adjustments are much better on both the 5D and FP than on the WGRS, with the best precision (internal micrometer adjustments) in the FP.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jackfish and Junior both hit right on the money. The 5D is manually adjustable(loosen the screws and move the sight horisontally or vertically) and the FP is micrometer adjustable(clicks) both are very good, just depends on how much money you want to spend. You also may have to change front sights if you choose to go this route.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good receiver sights make all the difference for my old eyes. I'd prefer the FP to the 5D, but either will work.

Posts: 87 | Location: On permanent vacation in the South West  | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Don't rule out the Ashley/XS sights, either. For a .35 Rem., I'd say they're about perfect.

http://www.xssights.com/catghost.html

I currently have the Williams FP on my .375 Win. (since XS doesn't currently make a set for the old Big Bore 94s). With the aperture removed, it makes for a good ghost ring, of sorts, as well.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help--I think I am going to go with the Williams FP. Any suggestions on the heighth of a new front sight to go with it? Thanks again

Posts: 6 | Location: Ft Drum, NY | Registered: 18 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One other thing you might consider is a Merit hunting disc to replace the ones supplied by Williams. With the Merit you can adjust the diameter of the arpeture to suit the light conditions and enhance the sharpness of the front sight. I have two M94's fitted with Williams FP's and Merit discs and find them useful for the range to sharpen the sight picture, and later, to get the best light transmission for the hunting conditions I'm in.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I wanted a peep sight for a Marlin, Id get one of brockmans peeps that are very small and rugged and tap onto the top of a Marlin without any side projection like the Williams has..Just my pick.

Or even better, get a Brockman/Talley set of quick detachable rings and bases, then when you pop the scope of your gun with the levers, the peep sight pops up...thats what I use on my Marlin with a 2.5x Lyman Leupold scope and the pop up peep, I am ready for whatever comes up..And not expensive.

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the 5-D on my Win 94 and a FP 336 for my new Marlin I bought last year. If you plan on sighting your rifle in for one bullet at a specific distance then get the 5-D. Otherwise, buy the FP 336 if you plan on doing alot of reloading and expermenting of different types of bullets and powders. You will appreciate the click adjustments.

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote