THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Pre 64 Winchester 88 Magazine Feed Problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre 64 Winchester 88 Magazine Feed Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just purchased a beautiful pre64 Winchester 88 in 308. The rifle
functions perfectly with the original magazine and is accurate. I purchase two
re-manufactured magazines from Numrich and when
used the cartridges don't feed and jam. The Numrich magazines
are supposed to be identical to the original
magazines. They sure look the same. Anyone have a similar
problem. If so had did you fix the problem? Thanks in advance for
your advise

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I haven't experienced your exact problem but same problem on other rifles.
The thing to do is take a real close look at the feed lips on your original mag and the new ones. You may have to make a slight tweak with needle nose pliers to get the right angle to the sheet metal.
Do one only until you get it to feed then duplicate the second one.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip Snellstrom. Used the needle nose pliers to open up the feed lips and by gosh they started to feed like the original magazine. AR members are such a great resource.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I noticed with the numrich mags in a Win 100 that the lockup notch was not the same as a Win mags. That the mag would slip out. If it was not seated in I could pull it out without pressing the release.

Posts: 6438 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to be the bearer of sad news.

The Nurmich model 88 and 100 magazines, are made in Tawian, and simply are not quite the same as a magazine made on factory tooling. They can be indentified by having a cast steel follower and the outside finish has a rough blasted finish.

They can be tweaked to feed but it is a bit of work.

Now to blow my own horn.

How many magazines do you need that are made on Winchester factory tooling, and fully made in the Pacific North West. Proper cast alumium follower, and a shiney type finish on both the body and bottom.

Wisner's even have some with the factory Winchester logo bottoms, ( long story )

Wisner's sells the 88 and 100 magazines with a trademark W on the bottom, to Brownells, and Triple K, so you may find a source closer to you that way.

JW

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote