New
Find
Notify
Tools

.41 bullet for rifle velocities
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got one of the new Henry's in .41 magnum and am torn on what bullet to use on Michigan whitetails. Originally I was thinkin an xtp but I think they might be soft for rifle velocities. I use mostly 215 grain swc in my pistols and like the looks of the big wln hard cast bullets but I wonder about feeding issues. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. I hunt in awfully thick cover so a quick demise and a heavy blood trail is always preferred. Let me know what you think.

Posts: 39 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
A heavy for caliber, hard cast bullet would fill the bill nicely.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you're probably right. Do some shapes feed and function through a lever action better than others? Also, any recommendations for meplat?

Posts: 39 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
My experience is that the Keith style bullets feed well. There are some Wide Flat nose designs that are more prone to feeding problems. The most important thing is making positive your overall length is correct. If the finished round is too long or too short, then you are more likely to have an issue.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a good source of cast bullets in that caliber:
http://www.pennbullets.com/41/41-caliber.html

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
get a good 210gr softpoint. Hard cast would not be my first choice for whitetails in thick cover as the blood trail would be minimal. The softpoints will hold up much better than the pistol type hollow points.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Corbin, corbins.com, bulletswage.com etc., has a list of bullet makers on web site and in book form who will make you about anything your imagination and pocket book will allow.

I would not be afraid of a heavy lead bullet in the described dense brush. SWC's were not designed for rifles. And the heavy jacket material bullets have their place. Luck. Happy trails.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
get a good 210gr softpoint. Hard cast would not be my first choice for whitetails in thick cover as the blood trail would be minimal. The softpoints will hold up much better than the pistol type hollow points.

I would think the opposite... I've seen many a 210 grain cup and core pistol bullet stay in the body. I guess your experience could be different. I've always got through and through penetration with good quality hard cast. I shoot 250 grain Cast Performance in my 41 Magnum revoler. I think if the twist supports it, that or their 275 grain .41 bullet from a rifle would leave blood trails the size of the Colorado River.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot those 210 grain hornady bullets out of my 405 Winchester at 2500 fps and they did really good.I want one of those 41 henry rifles bet they don't make them long.Its an awesome gun I love it in my SW model 57 .I am checking into to buying one '

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that the Barnes XPB 180 grain would be a good choice. I know you can't drive it fast enough to make it fly apart, it expands to more than double it's original diameter, and it retains most if not all of it's original weight so it should exit. I have not shot anything but regular targets and soft reactive targets with mine in 44 mag but it performs beautifully in water jugs, wet mud, etc.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote