New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapparral rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone owned or tried the Chaparral rifles. I am considering one in 50-90 and was wondering if they are worth buying. I understand Turnbull is using parts for his rifles and wondered if others had tried them.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Frank,
I have not owned one, however, some of the cowboy action shooter in some of the clubs I shoot at have. This brand initially had many problems in the way of function and fitting of parts. The opinion is later ones were better fit. Most cowboy shooters who bought this brand immediately sent it to a gunsmith to have it 'race tuned'. CDNN has very good prices on some closeouts. If I bought one, I would expect it to need an 'action job'.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply.
I am considering the 45-75 and the 50-90. Since these very likely will be the only rifles I can shoot in these calibers I may have to go along with the idea that they will need a tune-up.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Please repost if you get one. I have been kicking around buying one also. If the guns smooth up ok, I might pick one up also. I'm just a bit nervous because of the word on the early ones.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote