Find
Notify
Tools

1873 Win in .44-40
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I need a ballpark estimate on what an '73 Winchester .44-40 rifle is worth. It would probably shoot but the bore is bad. It is all original but only in fair to poor outward condition. So probably a wall hanger.

If a few folks would give a ball-park price range, I would appreciate it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a serch and find leroy merz site.
Lots of pictures and prices.
Factors to consider are round or octagon barrel
Carbine or rifle and weather or not it has any special features.
If you post a partial serial number I can give you a year of manufacture. do it like this
753XXX so I have the 1st 3 #s and number of digits.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well when I looked more closely at the rifle, I found out it is a .38 cal not a .44-40. Does that mean it is a .38-40 or a .38-55???

The serial number as you asked for it to be listed is 274XXXX.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it would be marked 38wcf.
the 73 is not even close to being able to use a 38-55 case.
the 38 wcf is now called a 38-40.
but is actually in the 400 groove range not 380.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
it would be marked 38wcf.
the 73 is not even close to being able to use a 38-55 case.

It is actually marked in both places (1. base of barrel & 2. bottom of the brass block) as .38 cal NOT .38 WCF.

But you are right (I lost my common sense factor) a .38-55 would not even fit in the action. So it has to be a .38-40 right?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can bet it,s a 38/40.
It looks like you have one to many Xs in your serial number.
My book says total proudution was 720,609
but 6 digits starting with 274XXX would put you in 1888.
I would probably shoot it with factory loads.
But I am not sure. If I could see it I might feel differently.
I don't know if you could have the rifeling recut.
Might call Doug turnbill.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thomas Jones,

Do you have a ball-park estimate of what it is worth? It is a rifle and has an octogon barrel. There are 7 total digits in the serial number???

I will take a pic when I get time and post.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know.
what to make of the 7 didgit serial number. The Highest number in my book
woul be 720609 last year of production was 1923.
But as to the value I would only gtuess at this point someplace beetween 1000, and 2000.
I still recomend you look up the leroy merz sight or just the cabela's gunlibrary.
Find a rifle like yours and compare condition and see how much they are asking.
I would expect you would be hard pressed to get there asking price, but it should give you a starting point...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thomas,

I believe that there are only 6 digits. After the last number there is another character and I thought it was an "8". Last night I looked with a 10X loupe and I think it is a capital B and it is different font from the numerals. That makes only six numerals in an alike font and then this capital B at the end in a different font.

Got any ideas about that?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thomas Jones,
Did I loose you??? You were giving me valuable advice!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
My original 73 has a 6 digit sn followed by a B. I can't help much on value. A dealer told me last year that ANY 73 in 44 WCF is worth $1500. A 38 is not as desirable so would be worth somewhat less everything else being equal. Octagon barrels add value. Beyond that it all comes down to features and condition. Bore condition is not as important to a collector but the exterior is.

My 44 is very accurate even though the barrel is pitted the whole length. All the rifling is present though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
274XXX would put you in 1888.
It' is a prety cool rifle to own.
It is very hard to give a value estimate.
But I can tell you a few things to look at.
Are the letter stampings prety sharp and crisp ?
If so that means your rifle has probably not been reblued. Usually when a rifle gets reblued they get polished first and that sort of dulls up the lettering.
Does the wood fit flush to the metal.
If the wood has been sanded there will be a poor fit. Sort of a step down from steel to wood.
On a rifle as old as this , you might get a little shrinkage. But I think you get the general Idea. Any rebluing or sanding will hurt the value.
One bit of usfull information is that your rifle is a batf antique. (any weapon prouduced before 1898 is an antique) meaning you can sell retial with out a dealer.
If you were to sell it to a collector like leroy merz he would resell at a profit.
So you can sell it your self right here on AR classified if you want to.
You can ship it too but do not put ammo in the same carton.
You can post a picture here or send one to my E-mail.
if I were to give you a ball park figure I would go with 1200 to 1600.
If it has a pop up tang sight or a extra long barrel, or any other special order feature the value goes up !
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I don't think it has been re-blued. I believe that someone took a wire wheel to it and brushed off all of the receiver parts. The barrel I believe has the original blue. From looking at the pitted metal on the receiver, I believe it must have been severely rusted. I don't belive the wood has been refinished either as the stock fits close and has some old initials carved into it.

Now the receiver and lever look just like that light silver metal that looks like wire brushed metal.

I do believe it may have the long barrel. What length constitutes a long barrel?

All this said, is it still worth a $1000.00?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
The standard barrel is 24". If yours was made in 1888 it is still probably worth $1000 if it is all there. The earlier rifles are worth more because it just may be a "gun that won the west". There is a lot of romance attached to 73's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
marc is right 24 is the standard.
Some have 30" tubers and that would add a little.
I can't comment on the reciever from yours unless I see it. Some times the reciever will get a funny color.
the reciever is maded of iron while, the barrel (I Think) is steel so the finish wares differently...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! I will still post pics hopefully some day soon.

J. Lane Easter, DVM