THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re: Winchester Guns M94 TS Timber Carbine 450 Marlin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Winchester Guns M94 TS Timber Carbine 450 Marlin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hunt with a 30/06 that weighs a bit under 7 pounds and it kicks harder / sharper than the 450 winchester lever gun - 30/06 load is 180 grain bullet at 2675 fps while the winchester shoots the 350 grain bullet at an average of 2025 fps - I believe the winchester timber carbine in 450 marlin does kick a bit less than a marlin 45/70 guide gun (althought the winchester is a bit lighter in weight) - the 450 does have a nice boom to it with the ported barrel - We are planning a bench session with chronograph checks on various loads this week for this 450 rifle, will report back in several days with results - KMule----------------{Tuesday, Oct. 19} we are back from the shooting session; the previously reported 2025 fps (350 grain bullet) was estimated from loading manuals according to my buddy . So I brought a chrony and found this load actually clocks at 1935 -1955 fps from the winchester timber carbine. Seems he figured more speed based on book data but did not take into account the longer barrels used by the loading books / data. Still, the load is very accurate and consistent, shows no high pressure signs and the recoil is not bad at all (to us, your mileage may vary) - fun rifle IMHO - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any expereince with this model?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How is the recoil ?

I�ve seen the weight specs for this rifle and it seems great to carry but way too light to shoot.

Can you compare the recoil with other rifles, like a 7 lb 30.06 with 180 gr bulets or a 8.5 lb 300 wm with 200 gr bullets.

Thank you

Posts: 152 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote