Find
Notify
Tools

LEVER GUN - Bushpig
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys
I am looking at getting a lever gun. Most likely a Rossi or Marlin as they seem to be plentiful here
I will be using it to hunt bushpig and as a day to day carry gun.

I am torn between wanting a 45-70 and getting a 357 or 30-30.
Some have said that the 357 is the way to go for close range pigs because it will not go through and injure the dogs etc. It also makes an excellent self defense gun.

I already have a 357 revolver with a 6" barrel. I also have a 308 and a 458 Lott so don't really need anymore guns. Lets call it toy for me to play with.

Any input would be appreciated.
If any of you have experience with hogs and a 357 I would love to hear it, likewise with any other lever gun caliber.

Any info will be much appreciated.

HQ

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course it goes without sayig, but NEVER shoot at a pig if a dog is anywhere behind it. Take a big gun for bushpigs.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
The standard rule of thumb here is, You don't have to many firearms until your pick up truck won't carry them all in two trips.

Go with the 45-70. Use the day light rule of caliber effectiveness. That is the more day light the bullet lets in the more effective it is.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
what arkypete said +1

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I have Marlin lever guns in .30-30, .44 Mag, and .45-70. I like me all but really want a .357 because, as you say, it's fun.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote