New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source of Winchester 73 bits
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been shooting the Cowboy action game for a while with a Rossi 92 and am convinced I need a Winchester 73.

I have a quantity of Winchester 73 bitsnpeices but are chasing a few more.

Does anyone have links and a large calibre breech bolt they want to sell. Just good condition usable stuff.

Has anyone had any success with Green Mountain barrels. I'm having difficulty ordering one.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bob, I've had a couple of Green Mountain barrels. Very pleased with them.
You know, you could save yourself a lot of trouble by just buying the new 1873 I have in the classifieds ...

Wink

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16531 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Have you shot both the 66 and 73? The drop is different between the two. For me, the 66 fits more like the 92.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot the Uberti (navy arms I think it was) 66 and 73 and find them too similar to split them. They're a huge improvement on the 92s for Western action.

They all seem too low in the stock and if I don't pull them back into my shoulder I find myself "chasing" the sights to keep them anywhere near the target - my fault.........crummy technique.

Ideally I'd have a short stroked .357 Uberti 73 but I've got some bitsnpeices that I want to make use of.

Bill, your 73 looks great but exporting it may be a pain and it's another calibre to load.

Ideally I'd like to stick with .357 to match my old model blackhawks......... but I'll end up with one in .45 Colt as well.

Green Mountain won't send a barrel to Australia. What I need is someone who is prepared to receive one and resend it for me........as long as they're not breaking any laws.

I have a .32/20 Win 73 that needs a .357 barrel and a large frame Win 73 (read collection of bits) that needs breech bolt, links etc. Sometimes, in Western action, you need two rifles.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If they are the same fit for you the 73 is the way to go. The 73 is has a disconnector on the lower tang that will not let you fire out of battery, the 66 does not have one. Also the ladel on the cartridge stop on the 73 is thicker and the gun holds up to heavy use better.
.357 is the popular round. I shoot 44-40 most of the time, but I like the black powder classes. If I shoot smokeless, I use a marlin in 44 mag. It's easy to change the cylinders in the handguns and be ready to go.
32-20 to .357 is possible without too much trouble. The guy in my area of the country who would probably be "Lassiter".
He is a first rate gunsmith and a multi time CAS champion as well as a nice guy.

Tom's Single Action Shop

Licensee Name: Wildenauer, Thomas J
675 Crawford Tom's Run Rd
New Lebanon, OH 45345
Phone: 937-687-1039

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote