Find
Notify
Tools

Front dovetail question?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello,

I purchased a set of Firesights for my Win 94 and when I replaced the front sight with the firesight, it is loose in the dovetail groove.

Is there a good way to fix that sight in place? I thought of Loc-tite, but I don't necessarily want it there permanently. Any suggestions appreciated.

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with the firesight, however, if it is metallic, a small setscrew in the base of the sight should work.
Otherwise, if the fit is just a small amount loose, peening the top edges of the dovetail down with a flat nosed punch is the traditional fix.
The hacker fix is to stipple the bottom of the sight or dovetail (pick one) with a prick punch to push the sight higher (& tighter).
Also check the specs on the Loctite, many will soften at around 400 degrees but the cure time may still be inconvieniently long.
Other adhesives, such as crazy glue or 5 minute epoxy might fill the bill.

Posts: 42 | Location: MA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know any machinests ? get some Starret shim stick .005/.006/007/ect slide shim under sight in dovetail till you get a solid very tight fit , example .009 is very tight cut it to match the sight width , slide the sight and shim in place , now use a black perminent magic marker and color the sides of shim and you have a working dovetail and no damage to the sight or barrel .

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Concho,
clapI like the shim idea, hadn't thought of that!
I've found a piece cut from a beverage can to be a handy source of shim material in the past.

Posts: 42 | Location: MA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote