New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage 99a 358 win
 Login/Join

Picture of katahdinlogman
posted
I was in a military surplus store that has its FFL. and on the shelf sat a nice short savage 99a chambered in .358 win it shows age and is in need of a good cleaning but they were only asking $225 for the thing. I thought that the price was wrong, what is the going value for theese things? I am leaving in a few hours and just may pick it up. I would like some advise thanks

Posts: 11 | Location: HOULTON, MAINE | Registered: 05 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
maybe its not an "a" ???

Posts: 11 | Location: HOULTON, MAINE | Registered: 05 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Violator22
posted Hide Post
Pick it up at that price, any 99 with condition is worth that easily, if you don't want it, I'll buy it from you. Les

Don't hold you farts, they travel up your spine to your brain and thats where crappy ideas come from!

Posts: 24 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 21 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I looked it over today and decided aginst it. upon inspection the barrel has been cut down to 16.5" looks like its been done by a gunsmith. the stock was hacked to pieces. and i sware that trigger has to be 12lbs or more.
btw its a 99f.
I did however get a remington gamemaster .35rem pump in used but excellant condition with a metal butt plate. with a weaver k4 on it for $300.00 it will make a nice maine woods rifle.....

Picture of Violator22
posted Hide Post
Can you give me the name of that shop, I would really appreciate it, for 225, I can't go wrong with that. I have spare stocks. Thanks, Les

Don't hold you farts, they travel up your spine to your brain and thats where crappy ideas come from!

Posts: 24 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 21 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
"Maine Military Surplus" its in Brewer,Maine
kind of a small opperation.

Picture of Violator22
posted Hide Post
Thanks, will be giving thema call tommorrow. Appreciate it. Les

posted Hide Post
Good. I feel good about my purchase. I just looked up the barrel code and it was made in dec of 1953. and its such good shape that i thought it was one of the 1980 runs of 35's. the sn is 155xxx so the barrel code seems to be right with the remington history sight that goes by sn's.

Picture of Violator22
posted Hide Post
Good deal, I have a feeling that that F will get turned into a 35 Remington anyway. Just a feeling I have. Thanks, sound s like you have a great find, I have an Rem 81 in 300 Savage 564XX sn. Don't know much about them. Sure is a lot more accurate with the Tang sight on it though. Les