New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 44 Mag Peep Sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have gone over this in my mind since I got the rifle a year ago. What peep sight do you recommend for a stainless 44 mag 1894 carbine. I have looked at the tang sights, the ghost ring, and the Williams receiver sights. I wonder about accuracy shooting with a ghost ring. I have used a tang sight before and like them but the Williams receiver sight appeals to me also. There is something to like about all of them and not much to dislike. What say you gentlemen?

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put a ghost ring on it and a tang sight. Use the ghost ring up close for reactive shooting and the tang sight for deliberate fire.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out www.skinnersights.com. They have a nice selection of peep sights. They are made in Montana by people who use these sights themselves. A have purchase several different sights from them and enjoy them all.

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Skinner sight is one I have missed. I thought I had them all checked out but I missed this one. I just ordered the stainless standard model with an extra 0.040 fine aperture for the plinking and target work. This has it all. Its small, streamlined, looks like it was made for the Marlin and built like a brick outhouse. Simangus, Thanks for the great suggestion.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. You'll love it. If your front sight doesn't give you the aiming picture you're looking for skinner sells replacement front blades that can be filed to your desired height.

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Put me down as another Skinner fan. Got 'em on Marlins, a Henry and a Ruger #1.

To paraphrase Josey Wales, "I rode with 'em; I got no complaints".

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received the Skinner site today and Installed it on my Marlin 44 Mag. It looks like it was made on there. Now I'll have to shoot it and see if I need a higher front. I have two front sights from Remington 700's that are higher and I can use one of those if needed. I'll let you know how it comes out. DW

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by simangus:
Check out www.skinnersights.com. They have a nice selection of peep sights. They are made in Montana by people who use these sights themselves. A have purchase several different sights from them and enjoy them all.

+1 for Skinner sights. I have one on my 1894 marlin in 45LC and love it. Kind of a pain to sight it in, but once done, it's great.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1977 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote