Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Mod. 64 30-30
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello the campfire:
I have a Model 64 Winchester in better than 90%. It is a great shooter and I plan to use it for Whitetails this season. Does anyone know much about this Model lever action? I have not seen very many around here.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Judge, I have one my Dad bought in '47. It also is in great shape and a super shooter. They are a much better made gun than the 94,IMO. I like the half mag. and they are a pleasure to carry. I killed my first deer with this rifle in 1966.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge. I have two of these rifles. One is the deluxe version with had checkering, sling studs (they don'r swivel Big Grin) and the original leather sling. It was made in 1938. The other one is the standard model, no sling studs, checkering, etc, made in 1951. I'm not totally positive on dates of manufacture, but I believe they were made from 1936 to 1957. The stock was designed by no other than Col. Townsend Whelen and in my personal opinion, it is the best feeling 30-30 Winchester around. Whelen also designed the stock for the Winchester Model 71 in .348 Winchester which explains the similarity betwen the two rifles. Serial number range is in with the standard Model 94 Winchesters as the Model 64 is really just a modified Model 94. Sweet rifles they are.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every since I was a little kid and saw my aunts mdl 64 I thought that was what a real deer rifle looked like.
I had to wait almost 50 years to find one that was in excellent condition and looked like her's.
They have become somewhat of a collectors gun and have become a little pricey to find an original.
Here's a pic of mine. SN says it was made in 1951, just about the time I saw my aunts for the first time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle JB. Yours is the standard model. They're, IMHO, the nicest handling 30-30s ever made.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
64's were made starting in 1933. I have a .32 special carbine made in '35 that was my father-in-laws. I am using it for my carry gun this year in the north woods of Wisconsin.

Fast Ed

Measure your manhood not by success, but by significance.

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of recoilpad
posted Hide Post
JudgeSharpe,
I have the plain Win Model 64 in .219 Zipper. It is in good condition. The action is tight and hits where I aim at. It is a nice handling rifle even though it has a 26" barrel. I don't shoot it much because ammo is hard to find. I don't reload so I have to rely on factory ammo.

"Big ears doesn't make you a good listener, but big feet will tell on you." - Mr. Bill Clinton

Posts: 339 | Location: Texas via Louisiana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote