Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Marlin 1894 accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
Chuck i believe the marlins 1 in 38twist is meant for lighter bullets 200-240 would probibly do best but the 270 speer should do well . Cast performance bullet company has a 255 wfn that should do well and i am sure someone out there has 240 grain hard cast bullets. Ruger saw how many people were going to the heavier bullets so all there 44's have a faster 1in 20" to stabilize the heavier bullets . Also try oregon trail bullets. And also remember the 44 with its 240 grain bullets were taking plenty of game before the heavy bullet trend began. Good luck Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
My 1894 .44 Mag with Microgroove barrel was one of the earlier ones. It required hard cast (I had to cast them then, they weren't to be bought) just .001" over groove diameter. These were pretty hard but I don't remember just how hard on the Brinnel scale. The ones I cast weighed 248 gr. after lube and sizing. I believe it was a Lyman mold. Sorry, but I don't have the mold or rifle (divorce sale ). That gun had a Williams FP mounted and would do 1�-2" at 100 using a max charge of IMR-4227. Don't know the velocity as I didn't have a chronograph then.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the info guys. I should clarify that I haven't been reloading for the 44. I do reload but I have never handloaded pistol cartridges or any requiring a roll-crimp. I am going to the range this afternoon to try out the 240 grainers. If I get the same grouping I think I will order a set of dies and figure out how to slug the barrel so I can start to work towards handloads. I've looked at the Oregon trail stuff before and they seem like a good product.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote