New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 1895 and rimless ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As this seems to be a fairly knowledgeable forum I hope to get an educated response.
At the nitroespress.com forum we had a brief discussion about potential ammo for the Win 1895.
I've heard that if using rimless ammo in the '95 you'll have extraction problems. According to the fellow forumist he had not heard of the problem as such, but that it had apparently occurred with old rifles converted from e.g. the old 7,62x54R to use rimless ammo.
The question is whether it works well with rimless or is it more advisable to have the gun shooting rimmed ammo only?
You see, I've been considering rechambering a rifle or to have one made in a more modern caliber and the choice of rimmed is quite limited. However, if a new(er) rifle originally made for rimless works OK then there's no problem.

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Schauckis

If I'm not mistaken there's more rimless rounds chambered for the 95 then rimmed.
I have one in 405 and one in 30-06,
One of these days I'll have one in 375 Whelen.
When Browning first came out with their copy of the 95 the rifles were chambered for 270 Winchester and 30-06.
Any of the rounds based on 30-06 case will work.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the problem originated in the smith's conversion from the rimmed case extractor to get it to extract the rimless case (.30-06 case head size?).

My Browning 1895 is a .30-40, rimmed of course.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, but neither actually answers my question whether there've been problems with rimless ammo.

The rifle was obviously initially designed for rimmed but as said "modern" rimmed cartridges are few, indeed.

Arkypete: the Whelen is rimless, too, right?

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've worked with several of both flavors and there is no problem with rimless. It just has to have the correct extractor for the case. If you have the wrong extractor for the case, you will have problems. If you don't, you won't.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rimless actually works better!! With the rimmed case in the box magazine of the M1895 one must be CAREFUL to make sure that each rim is forward of the previous loaded cartridge's rim ,or they will be rim locked in the magazine.

The truth is, a M1895 feed just like a M700 Remington with the only major difference being how the bolt is moved (fixed handle on the M700 a lever on the M1895). Oh yeah the M1895 has a more substantial extractor than a M700 too.

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schauckis:
Yea, but neither actually answers my question whether there've been problems with rimless ammo.

The rifle was obviously initially designed for rimmed but as said "modern" rimmed cartridges are few, indeed.

Arkypete: the Whelen is rimless, too, right?

I've got a 1895 Winchester that was originally chambered for the 270 Win, but now has been converted to 411 Hawk (kind of an "improved" 400 Whelen). I've never had any feeding or extraction problems with the rimless case.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Again as I remember the intial offerings for the 95 was 405 Win. 30-03, 30 Government (30-40 Krag).Later they made 750,000 for the Russians in 7.62 X 54R. I think they also made a bunch in 303 British.
In answer to your question rimless rounds work fine in this rifle.
The 375 Whelen is the 30-06 necked up to 375. The 375 Whelen is a wildcat round, no factory ammo. You could also rebarrel to 35 Whelen, which is available commercially.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote