THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re: Barrel Break in on a Marlin 1894
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Barrel Break in on a Marlin 1894
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you mean ? I personally run in every barrel the same no matter if its a lever gun or a bolt. Its just not that time consuming and if it makes any difference after its broken in all the better. Ideally IMO handloading some bullets to fire form the barrel would be great. I think it all depends on what you want in the end. Do you want 1.5" groups or are you happy with the average 3" group from a lever gun at 100 yards ? No difference to a whitetail at that range but I like all of mine to be "shooters" if at all possible. For me that's just part of the fun.

If you want to shoot hard cast bullets you might consider the 1894 Cowboy with the Octagon barrel and ballard rifeling instead of the micro groove barrel on the standard 1894.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There has been much published about barrel break in and while I'd just as soon not invite the flames from the zealots lurking in the shadows, I'll go ahead and say my peace.

If it were me, I'd just shoot the damned thing and when done, give it a good cleaning. Perhaps for the first 500 rounds, jacketed bullets would hasten the smoothing process, but the truth is, most barrels of late manufacture are very smooth as they are. True enough, you get yourself an electron microscope or some other super magnifier and peer down the barrel and you'll discover traces of tool marks. Big deal! This is of no great consequence and especially in a low velocity round like the 44 mag. Purists will have a fit and piss their pants telling you must go through this laborious process of shoot and clean for a zillion rounds and maybe, just MAYBE, if you were using a very high dollar BR rifle in a small caliber like 22 or 6 PPC or something similar, this would all prove worthwhile. I doubt it though, as my 22 and 6 PPC rifles never got this treatment and they shoot super groups and have never been 'foulers'.

My vote says, use it, don't abuse it and above all else, enjoy it.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just wondering if you guys think it is worth the effort with this gun in a 44 magnum?

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote