New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 1886/Mod 71 Winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I few days ago I had the oppertunity to carry and shoot a Mod 71 Carbine in 348 Winchester in the field.

The key words here are in the field. I have shot this Lever gun several times in the past, at the range and considered it the best lever rifle...
Until I shot an 1895 in 405 WCF. This is my favorite lever rifle. And as a bonus mine is a take down. It has become my most favorite...

However, I will say that the 1886/Mod 71 is the handiest to carry of ANY lever rifle, I have ever "toted".

The 1886/Mod71 and the Mod 1895 are very good examples of great design and manufacturing.

When you think about it, none of the lever actions have ever been known for any problems in their function. Winchester, Marlin, Savage, all have a good reputation...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
No arguement from me, except that you left off the 1892 (baby 1886).

Original 1892 with Bishop stocks and .357 Magnum with 20 inch Douglas barrel.

And the 9422M:

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CR

I would really like to have a 16" barreled 1892 TakeDown in 44 Mag...

No doubt, in my mind, John Browning was an Alien, from a Galaxy far, far, away...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could not agree more about comments regarding the 71 and 86. I have the Brownings, not originals, and they are a quality firearm. Never really cared for the appearance of the 95, but spotted one on G&H's site and said it was as new and at a favorable price and bought it. Mine is '06 and came with outstanding wood for std. grade and I thought the other two were smooth in action, well that Browning 95 is one slick set up. Balance and pointability rivals the 71 which is excellent, but is a smoother working action if that is possible. Have bolt guns with fine optics, nice wood, even some engraved, but for a hunting tool, those Browning lever guns are as good as it gets for me. I am keeping an eye out for a 405.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An 1895 in 9.3x62 would be nice. If Win had been more attuned to the needs and wants of Europe and Africa back in the day, we might have had one. Too bad.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester is bringing the 71 back in a standard and deluxe version in 2012. Check out their website.

Posts: 73 | Location: WI | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
MFD,
You looking for an 1895 in .405 WCF, maybe like this Deluxe?

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CRShelton,
That is a fine piece of work you have there.
Several years ago had a High Grade '86 Browning and was afraid to take it out of the house.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Christmas present from my wife was this Browning 71 Carbine. Much preferred over the new Winchester's and their "safety". I have only shot the 200 gr Hornady over 4320 but with the Williams receiver sight it is a sub 2" gun so far. Incredibly well put together and finished. A bargain IMO.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
MFD,
My solution to the "too pretty to shoot" problem was to make a Safe Queen of the unfired 1895 Deluxe .405 and then acquire another nice, but not fancy .405 as my shooter.
Pic below:

This 1895 has become my favorite hunting rifle.
It is going to SA with me this year with 400 grain loads for Cape Buffalo.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There you go! "Bully," excellent solution and one that "Teddy" would definitely agree with for hunting in Africa. Attended gunshow yesterday and an original Winchester there in very rough condition in 405, stocks dinged up, wood/metal fit nasty, finsih almost gone, etc.
Guess one could send it to Mr.Turnbull for restoration, but lot of coin tied up. Passed.
Perhaps you would know, did Browning offer their version of the 95 in 405??

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Mfd,
Yes they did and here is a link to a rather fancy one:
http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-BRN50154

Miroku made the 1895 repros for Browning and Winchester and they are both high quality rifles. You pays your money and takes your pick.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CR,

is that fancy one the TR Model?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Idaho SS,
Yes the Browning is the TR commemorative. Got one?

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Colorado Matt,
Here is a link to the rifle you want:
http://www.levergunscommunity....ilit=winchester+1895

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MFD, CDNN has 405 for 989.00

Posts: 1293 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J_Zola,
Thanks for the tip, but did see they were offering one as you mention. What I am looking for and not sure it is available is the Browning version(read mid 80's) without the tang safety/trigger the "new" Winchesters have.
Not sure but don't believe the Brownings were made back then in 405? Have one of the older Browning 95's in '06. Could buy one of the current Winchesters and send off to Turnbull for the conversion to original set up on hammer and trigger. Again, thanks for the tip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK for friendly discussion, consider the New made Winchester levers...
The 1886 in 45/70...

The Mod 71 in 348...

And the 1895. They have been made in 30-40 Krag, 270, 30/06, and 405.

I have seen all fo these guns over the years, as well as the Original Winchesters, made back in the day.

From strictly a modern hunters view point, I would rate the "New" made Winchesters the equal, if not better than the originals.

When it comes to calibre selection, since these guns are iron sighted guns I thind the 348, 45/70 and 405 make the most sense.

I will say, I do like the newest 1895 in 30/06 called the Gov't Model...
I think that would be a fun gun to shoot, and unt with as well...

My favorite, still remains the 1895 take Down in 405 WCF.

It hits HARD, and its action is very slick and positive.

It just feels and handles like a great rifle...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume you do not figure the trigger in your assessment of the new lawyer models as quality...?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me quality is not an issue and only hear good reports on the newer version Winchesters, but others I have, 71,86,& 95 are all Brownings plus have Browning FN Safari, and recently acquired Browning BSS. If I put something else in the cabinet with these five, they would probably hassle the FNG.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, actually all of the "new made" Winchesters I have shot,
had perfectly good triggers for a hunting rifle.

I just dry fired my 405 and it has a perfect trigger suitable for anything short of benchrest.

I do not see how it could be any better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a Win 1895 in the 405 TD model. Hard to imagine a better lever gun. I have one of the Browning model 71's in the .348 carbine version but have yet to shoot it, however it seems to handle quite well. I have some 250gr Kodiak bullets for the 348 I want to load up and try out...should be a real good bullet for moose, elk or even grizzlies. It should bring out the best in a 348 levergun.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a new 1892 made by Miroku in 44-40,and it is really nicely finished. Makes my Marlin 94 look shabby though its also a great gun. The trigger creeps a little but I'm used to it, and it's very accurate.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
At one time I had several original as well as Browning and modern Winchester versions of the M71, 1886 and 1895. The Browning M71's shot better than the originals; and the new USRA/Winchester 1886's and 1895's shoot much better than my originals or the Brownings.

As Skeeter said, "certain guns should not be in the hands of ruffians" or words to that effect, so I sold all of my originals. I have been culling the herd over the past few years and have kept 2 of the new Winchesters; an 1886 LT in 45-70 and an 1895 TD in 405. The safety doesn't bother me (they are reproductions)and the triggers are not too bad. I did have to work on the trigger of the 1886 to get the darn rebounding hammer to stop misfiring. Other than that, patridge front sights, receiver rear sights, recoil pads and sling swivels were the only changes I needed.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So does anyone have any information about when the new Winchester 71's that are on Winchesters's web site are coming out?

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have in hand a new catalog, what do you want to know?

Posts: 73 | Location: WI | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
My Christmas present from my wife was this Browning 71 Carbine. Much preferred over the new Winchester's and their "safety". I have only shot the 200 gr Hornady over 4320 but with the Williams receiver sight it is a sub 2" gun so far. Incredibly well put together and finished. A bargain IMO.

Nice!

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote