Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a good deal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
I have been looking around for nice used Marlin M94 in .25-20. I have heard of a couple for about $400 each from a private party, both supposedly in like new condition. Is that a reasonable price? I've never bought a used M94 Marlin before, so have no idea what they go for...

(I've traded for a couple, years ago, but times were different then, and besides we were talking " how much plus or minus boot?" back then, not actual dollar value.)

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen, thats a very good price!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
From what I have seen, thats a very good price!!

Thanks for the advice. I went down this morning and bought one of them. It is a 1988-built M '94 Marlin .25-20. Has the half-magazine and a very light round 24" tapered barrel with original front and rear sights, plus a Williams Foolproof click-adjustable receiver sight. Is in about 99%+ condition on the outside of wood and metal, and has a perfect appearing bore.

Cost me $369 out-the-door including instant check and sales tax, and there was no premium charged for putting it on my plastic. (I pay that off every month so I pay no interest charges, and get 1% back for using my card.)

Looks like a greatly scaled-down Marlin 336-A.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
great deal! They generally sell for double that price!

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the "morale" support, guys! I was a little worried about paying that much for another lever gun, 'specially one which will be restricted to varmints and small game because of the small cartridge, but it sure is a cute li'l ole thang!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
! I was a little worried about paying that much for another lever gun,

But it will be one I bet you shoot a good bit, just because it's so fun. If you cast, RanchDog molds has a 25/20 bullet designed around that marlin chamber. If it's half as good as the one I got from him for my .375 Marlin it will be a doozy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
But it will be one I bet you shoot a good bit, just because it's so fun. If you cast, RanchDog molds has a 25/20 bullet designed around that marlin chamber. If it's half as good as the one I got from him for my .375 Marlin it will be a doozy.

Okay, How do you do that? Reading my mind, I mean.

I do cast a bit (currently have about 140 moulds, 4 lead pots including a Magma Master-Caster, 7 lube-sizers, and a bit of other appropriate equipment).

Was going to post here asking which moulds AR folks would recommend for the .25-20. I have about a dozen different ones for the .32-20, but have never loaded cast bullets in the .25-20.

While we are at it, I generally match my lube to the alloy...hard lube for hard alloys and vice-versa. Which alloy do you prefer for the little .25 bullets from the .25-20 in Marlin barrels?

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Some folks are just Lucky. CRYBABY CRYBABY

I have wanted a lever action 25-20 for years, and all I have ever found are older rifles and the cheapest I have seen one for on Gunbroker were $500.00 or above.

Congratulations on your good fortune. tu2 tu2 beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to hurry and go buy the other one. If it's the same condition as the one you described I'll offer $500 for it sight unseen.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two Marlin 1894s in 25-20. One with an octagon barrel made in 1906 and one I bought NIB made in 1994. Wanna guess which cost more? I'll give you a hint, neither was cheap. What is it about the quarter bores that commands the high prices?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will probably be wrong, but that ain't nothing new for me, but my guess the NIB cost more.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BINGO! NIB cost a bunch more! Alberta....fantastic price. Now quick go buy the other one too so you'll have a backup.

For those that enjoy the more rare Marlin 1894, there is a NIB 1894 made sometime in the early 1990s for sale on gunbroker. Caliber 218Bee. If I wasn't overextended I make a bid on it. For a grand it would be a steal!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know or did know where there was a NIB 1894 Marlin CB in 25-20 that a friend had given to him when he and his wife bought the house they live in. the owner was an older guy and had never shot the gun. the only 25-20 I have ebver shot was one of the Remington pumps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a little martini cadet in 25/20 John Farner AKA to many tools put together for me. half octo/round barrel a repro of the old 3 leaf winchester sight and it shoots little tiny groups with anything I feed it. With the 60 grn horn flatpoints it will do 2200 fps and blows a woodchuck up like a 22-250

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
You need to hurry and go buy the other one. If it's the same condition as the one you described I'll offer $500 for it sight unseen.

Gato - I went down to get the other one this morning. It was not there. Don't know if the store owner took it home or what. He IS a real Marlin fan and takes home for himself a lot of the consignment stuff which comes in....he got another real nice one about two months or so ago which was either a M39 in .22LR with the lo o o o n g, slim, octagon barrel, or a similar barreled .25-35 Model 93....I can't remember which. (Comes from hanging around too many gun stores...can't always recall who nabbed what.)

Sorry I can't help more, but if you like Marlins, I'll try to keep my eyes open for other stuff that may come in and let you know...he usually has real good prices on them, so far.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I know or did know where there was a NIB 1894 Marlin CB in 25-20 that a friend had given to him when he and his wife bought the house they live in. the owner was an older guy and had never shot the gun. the only 25-20 I have ebver shot was one of the Remington pumps.

No wonder I like your posts CH. We think lot alike, and have done, seen, shot, liked a lot of the same things.

I have had four of the Remington M25 pumps...still have one, a dainty little engraved Carbine. All my M25s, though have been in .32 WCF, not .25-20s. I was hoping this rifle was a .32-20 when I first saw it, but the little .25 is already starting to grow on me and I haven't even fired it yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, Congratulations on your good luck in finding that gem. The 25-20 I shot was one of the model 25's, know a man that has 2 of them.

The 25-20 ha always looked like it would be a great little carry around gun. I have even thought about having one of the H&R/New England Firearms break open single shots in .22 Hornet and having it rebored/rerifled/rechambered to 25-20.

But then I get to thinking it would probably be faster/easier/cheaper just to get the funds together and buy a used one.

One of the rifles I have been messing around with and have killed deer/coyote and javelina with is a 1907 Winchester Self Loader in .351.

According to the serial number, this particular rifle was built in 1923.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

Gato - I went down to get the other one this morning. It was not there. Don't know if the store owner took it home or what. He IS a real Marlin fan and takes home for himself a lot of the consignment stuff which comes in....he got another real nice one about two months or so ago which was either a M39 in .22LR with the lo o o o n g, slim, octagon barrel, or a similar barreled .25-35 Model 93....I can't remember which. (Comes from hanging around too many gun stores...can't always recall who nabbed what.)

Sorry I can't help more, but if you like Marlins, I'll try to keep my eyes open for other stuff that may come in and let you know...he usually has real good prices on them, so far.

Thanks for trying. I appreciate it and I truly appreciate the offer about future Marlins, but it's no big deal. I don't need any more guns but that doesn't stop me from liking/wanting them.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote