Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarrel a lever gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted
I would like a little carbine to play around with.
If I bought a Rossi .357 mag would anyone have a suggestion as to whom I could send the gun so it could be rebarreled to .256 Magnum? I like the idea of a .25/20, but if I convert a .357, I might as well use the more powerful .256. I'm not trying to magnumize anything...I have an M94 .25/35AI, not to mention several larger, bolt-action, .25's.
Mostly, I'll be using cast, anyway.
Thanks, ahead of time.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't help you with a smith to do the re-barrel but the 256 Win. is a good choice. You're Rossi 357 mag casehead is the same as the 256 (a necked down 357 mag case) and 256 cases are easy to form from plentyfull 357 mag brass. I have a 256 win mag on a small Martini action and love it. I also have a "once used" 256 Win mag reamer I can make you a good deal on if you go ahead with the project.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It occurred to me after my last reply that you really don't need to re-barrel your Rossi. "Redman" (Brownell's) makes a barrel liner for a 25-20 with a .435" OD. It has a 1:14 twist and would work great with cast bullets. Just re-line and re-chamber...everything else should fit.

Jon

One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
Jon- Thank you very much. I would very much like to relieve you of your reamer. Even if I don't use it right away.
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gene...
The reamer is a PTG, solid pilot, finisher. I bought it through Brownell's for around $100 several years ago and used it (carefully!) one time. Will sell for $50. PM or email for shipping addresses, etc. if interested.

Jon