Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1895XLR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted
I have to admit I'm mostly into pistols. I've hunted my share of deer with rifles and very rarely had any problems with one getting away. So now I'm pistol hunting hogs.

But the other day something happened that I didn't expect. A friend handed me his H&R 45-70 and asked me to shoot a milk jug he had set up. My friends, let me tell you, I still can't shake the feeling. And I only shot it once. But to see the jug half vaporized, damnit, I'm hooked now and I gotta have one.

I haven't been looking much, but think I got my heart set on Marlin's 1895XLR. http://www.marlinfirearms.com/...arms/xlr/1895XLR.asp

I've read that some people have had problems with the firing pin not striking the primer hard enough causing a misfire. Is this a common thing with this rifle due to a weak spring or just poor cleaning? What else can you tell me about this rifle?

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard the same thing about the firing pin spring but it's never been an issue with my XLR.

With that said, when ever I travel with my rifle on a hunt, I do carry a small tool kit and a spare spring, but I've had this rifle for five years and haven't needed it yet.

I love my Marlin .45/70. It's accurate, easy to carry and when I shoot something, it dies...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably more to do with the owner not releasing the safety. Most lever actions have a half hammer cock safety. The XLR has an additional safety.
I have pulled the trigger before on mine and not had it go off. The safety was on!
I will guarantee you I am not the only person that has goofed on this.
When the safety was off, I have never had mine not fire.
It takes a little getting used to if you are accustomed to a Model 86, 71 or 94.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have 3 1895's and 2 XLR's. I have not had a problem with any of them suffering fron light strikes. As eezridr mentioned, the crossbolt safety is a questionable addition. It does absolutely make it possible for the hammer to not engauge the firing pin. I solve this problem by fitting all my marlins with the Clyde Ludwig safety delete. It removes the crossbolt and replaces it with a blank. The kit runs about $15.00. I figgure that I have been shooting a lever gun without the add on for 40+ years, that addition is just going to make operations problematic at this point.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
If I looked at the manual right, seems like you could leave the safety off all the time. I have to get one of these in my hands and get a better look at it. I don't plan on putting a scope on it, since I doubt I'll be shooting over a 100 yards where I hog hunt. Do ya'll have scopes mounted?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My eyesight isn't what it used to be. So with the standard iron sights or even with a peep sight, I have one heck of a time seeing the sights clearly.

I mounted a straight 4X Alpen scope and love it!

But that's just me and my eyes. Your milage may vary....

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by griz78:
If I looked at the manual right, seems like you could leave the safety off all the time. I have to get one of these in my hands and get a better look at it. I don't plan on putting a scope on it, since I doubt I'll be shooting over a 100 yards where I hog hunt. Do ya'll have scopes mounted?

You can attempt to leave the safety off all the time its true. It does have a bit of a detent, however, it can easily be moved if you are busting the brush. Its just plain butt ugly!

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:

You can attempt to leave the safety off all the time its true. It does have a bit of a detent, however, it can easily be moved if you are busting the brush. Its just plain butt ugly!

We can't have that now can we? Wink And I found the website to order the kit. Showed how to install and the replacement looks like a side screw. Not bad at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Takes all of 5 minutes to install it, you can keep the ugly plug if you ever want to resell the gun.

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
I'm not worried about that. I don't buy to sell.
Thanks for the info. If there's any more, please feel free.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you pick one up, I think you will like it, I really like my XLR's. Built for heavy use and the attention to detail is better than on the standard models I think. The fluted bolt lowers resistance in cycling the gun and makes the new one as smooth as a blued gun that has been shot a good deal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I mounted a 2x8 Leupold on this one (308 ME) and it is a perfect balance between function and balance.

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I'm gonna love it too. And I can't wait to see what it'll do on a hog. I don't think I'll put a scope on it. That may change later

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an XLR in 450 Marlin... I love it and I sure you will be happy with yours too.

I have never had an issue with a lite primer strike... and I reload so if it happened I would be all over it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 45-70 great gun and accurate also

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted Hide Post
just had to add my 2. i have two marlins...1st came the guide 444...hammer of the gods on moose here and fellas these are the BIG moose. 2nd came the cowboy 45/70. this last is just what the dr ordered. waited for awhile to get it and the wait was worth the trouble. it hold 8 shells and with ursus hangin round that is comforting. good luck with yore lever...you will be happy i bet...just keep it clean and enjoy the fast handling gun as it was meant to be enjoyed.
ted

----------------------------------
when all is said and done...more will be said then done

Posts: 134 | Location: alaska | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
well, I got it. And you fellas were right. It was a good choice. I love it. Thanks for the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous. I hope I find one for a reasonable price soon. I don't care if I have the XLR or not, Just a 45-70
DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Griz

Once upon a time I had a Marlin in 45/70. My brother has one in a Guide gun.

I am also familar with about 15 or so other Marlins in 45/70, three or four Marlins in 444, and a hald dozen or so in 30/30.

I have never heard of, or seen, a single problem with any of them.

Several of the 45/70's were Zoo work guns and fired a BUNCH in training sessions...

NEVER a problem.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new gun!I like this new version myself-
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/.../bigbore/1895GBL.asp
The full length mag always held much more appeal to me.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
N E 450,
I'll never get tired of hearing that. Thanks

Bernie,
The full length mag was one thing I considered also. But it the end, the 24" barrel is what won me over.

Of course, I had to test the gun after receiving it. So far all I've shot through it is LEVEREVOLUTION 325GR. Water jugs got turned to mist and pieces of 3" concrete looked like someone took a sledgehammer to them.

I went hog hunting last Saturday morning. Saw one little piggy that looked just big enough to chew a kernal of corn. I knew what the 45-70 would do to it, so I waited for momma instead. She never showed and little pig got away too. Maybe this weekend I'll have better luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 which I carry with me 24/7 on the front seat of the pickup. The safety is not an issue, it can be locked out of service (internally) by a compentent gunsmith or go to an auto parts store and buy a small O-Ring just the size of the detent ring. About .50Cents or less. Once installed on the detent it will keep the safety from moving back and forth so you won't forget it. You still have the 1/2 cock on the hammer as a safety. I also ordered the large loop lever and a stainless drop in trigger plus ejector from Wild West Guns in Alaska, WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I installed a Weaver top rail with a Millet illuminated 1-4 scope with quick detach mounts and a Lyman Peep sight with the apterature removed so the scope will fit OK. With the scope removed the peep acts as a Ghost Ring without the apterature and due to placement gives a longer sight radius.
Good Hunting. Fun is only a spent primer away.

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have 2 Marlin M1895's; I've got the M1895GS and the M1895XLR.

What I did with the crossbolt safetys on both rifles, is I put a metal snap ring on it. Makes it impossible to engage it by accident.

Reason I did that is I missed a big black bear one time because that damn thing had slipped into 'safe' position. I fired and racked 3 shells through the rifle before I got it figured out, but by then the bear had got tired of me and vamoosed. Mad

Anyway, using the snap ring is dirt simple and requires ZERO modification to the rifle.
A buddy uses small o-rings that fit tightly on the end of the crossbolt; performs the same function, just not quite as certain. They work okay, but the o-rings deteriorate over time and will eventually come off.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote