New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 grain Rem. JHP in 45-70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am interested in hearing about this bullets performance on game when pushed to the 1900 fps and higher speeds. I used it a couple of years ago at around 1700 fps and had no problems but want to use a bit more velocity. Actually at 1700 fps It worked pretty good for me.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always liked to buy these bullets in bulk and use them for cheap practice. I've used them in 45-70, 45-90 and 45-120. It had been a very accurate bullet at what ever velocity that I've driven it ranging from 1500 to 2700 fps in the 45-120. My hunting experience is only on fox, moose and caribou with this bullet.

The moose was shot at about 25 yards with the factory 1800 fps stuff in a 45-70 and it did the job, just not spectacular but good penetration and mushrooming under the skin on the far side. A fox hit with that some round was spectacular though, bullet along with most of the internals not recovered!

At 2400 fps in the 45-90, caribou went down like lightning struck them and all bullets exited. Exit hole was big enough to stick a softball into. Lots of blood shot meat, even down into the legs from a chest hit.

At 2700 fps in the 45-120, caribou went down as above but the exit hole was huge! I'm talking that you could stick your whole hand into its chest cavity and feel nothing but air as it was completely empty!

Both the 45-90 and 45-120 were loaded to a high velocity because it was expected that all shots were going to be at long-range due to the fact that we were hunting open range tundra caribou. Murphy's Law struck again and they were all at ranges from 50-75 yards...

I think that this bullet would perform fine if loaded in the 2000-2100 fps range.

Cheers,

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bullet is very ccurate in my 1895 also. I want to keep the velocity down to ease recoil a bit. I don't think the Remington factory load is going the advertized velocity because comparing them to the 1900 fps loads. they seem much lighter in recoil and hit 3 inches lower on the target at 75 yards.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

You are right...2000 fps in my 450 Marlin killed 2 deer last year without a lot fuss...hit....stagger a few steps and plop. My oldest son is using it again on Saturday and I'm confident the results will be the same.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used this bullet and the sierra pro hunter 300 gr hpfn at 2150 fps from my marlin and they blow huge exits through 150-200 pound animals but big heavy hip and spine bones slow them up and the sierras in particular lose there cores. great for thin skinned stuff, I like the rem 405 gr softs all though I think rem have stopped making them.

The softes bullet I have come across is the speer 400 gr flat point 45/70 bullet.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote