New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 Alaskan Conversions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Don't ask me why, but I picked up a 1895 Marlin that had been converted to 50 Alaskan.

Not sure who did the conversion. From what I can gather, Wild west Guns in Anchorage, AK and Las Vegas, NV do the conversion, but they rebore, not rebarrel. The conversion I have in hand is not a rebore. There are no remaining Marlin markings on the barrel, and the barrel diameter is quite a bit larger than the barrel on my 1895 45-70.

Besides WWG, who does the 50 Alaskan conversion on the 1895 Marlin. I'd like to contact them, provide the serial number and see if I can get some 'history' on this rifle.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Mine was done by Turnbull and was a rebarrel. It's marked Turnbull Restorations so you would know they did it. Mike Hunter also does them, as does SSK.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Any contact info for Mike hunter would be appreciated. I also found that JES does the 50 Alaskan conversion, but again I believe his work to be a rebore. I'm going to try and connect with SSK tomorrow and see where that leads me.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had an email conversation with Mike Hunter yesterday. Not his work. The search continues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Mic McPhersen in western Colorado. His contact info is at levergun.com. He builds Marlin levers in quite a large number of wildcat and just unusual chambers.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
Mic can even go a little larger and convert the Marlin into a 510 kodiak express. About 21 hundreths longer than a 50 Alaskan. I have pushed mine to 5500 ft.lbs. with a 23" barrel. Mic does great work, but not a cheap conversion.

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, after some digging I found out the 'back story' on my 50 Alaskan conversion.

Turns out it was a project gun by a student at Colorado School of Trades. Guy evidently dropped out and sold his projects to another student - the guy that sold the gun to the LGS that I purchased it from.

From was I was told, the barrel is a Brux (Lodi, WI). The 2nd student knew that there was work to be done on the gun when he sold it to the LGS. Specifically, the ejection port needed to be opened up, and that some work was needed on the inside of the receiver in order to permit the big 50 Alaskan to feed thru the loading port into the magazine tube.

Spoke to Brian at Wild West Guns in Anchorage, AK, and he informed me that WWG would charge in the neighborhood of $500 to make my gun feed and function properly. Given that I have less that $300 in the gun, I may very well send it North for corrective measures.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Hopefully that's all it needs,,uncobbing gets real expensive pretty fast at WWG!!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
Hopefully that's all it needs,,uncobbing gets real expensive pretty fast at WWG!!

That's what I'm kinda afraid of . . . Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim West is not a very nice guy but his shop does good work. I've had him build 2 50 alaskan marlins for me over the years. I'd not be afraid to send your gun to him to have the proper reliability work done on it.

Byron

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska & Florida  | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's on it's way with a note to call with a true estimate when they get to that point.