New
Find
Notify
Tools

New To Me Marlin 44
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just bought a Marlin stainless 44 mag on line. I should get it in about two weeks. Its going to need some minor stuff like scratches removed, stock refinished, etc. but I need a little project and the price is about half of a new one. I figure a ghost ring rear sight, maybe a heavy post front sight and I might try to make myself a big loop. Shouldn't be to tough. If I can get someone to tig weld a piece of stainless rod on the existing lever, I can mill it flat, finish it, etc. I'm exited to see it and shoot it. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool! You should post before and after pictures of the project!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will, or I'll send them to someone so they can post for me. I am really looking forward to the project and the rifle. I sold my last one when I needed a little cash. Stainless will fit better for the intended use of the gun. it's just going to be fun. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 1894SS in 44 mag is my absolute favorite gun. It is fun to shoot. Makes big enough holes in the target I can see where I hit. Using a solid point bullet I have taken squirrels with minimal meat damage. It just punches a clean hole thru them. Use the right load it is capable of killing any thing on the planet. Definitely not ideal for dangerous game or long range shooting, but a very capable gun if used within it's practical limits. Look at www.skinnersights.com for some great peep sights and front blades.

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Skinner sights. I have one on my 1894SS and love it.

Posts: 504 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the rifle yesterday. I can't see any damage on it. If it wasn't dirty, I'd think it was new. I'll get some pictures taken anyway. I still plan to customize it.

One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
I have one in .41 mag and I added the XS system sights and really like them, ghost ring and the post front sight with the white line

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KWard:
I have one in .41 mag and I added the XS system sights and really like them, ghost ring and the post front sight with the white line

Got the same set up on my 44 mag.Makes for a fast pointer!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at sights and I think I'll go with the Williams WGRS model that screws into the rear scope mount screw holes. I like the idea of a ghost ring, but, I also like the idea of having a smaller apature available. So I'll use the williams with an apature for target work and just leave the apature out for fast target aquisition. I really like the looks of the XS front sight blade with the vertical stripe. I may even try my hand at making some rear wings out of a piece of square tubing. I can cut it and shape it with the tools I have. I could maybe even find a piece in stainless to use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come late November, early December in the deer camps in the mountains of WV you see fair number of your rifle. Mountain terrain, deep hollows, steep trails, Laurel thickets, and the Marlin 44 is very handy and more than powerful enough to drop a deer or black bear. Gun is easy to take apart and clean from the breech end and have always found them to be smooth as silk. One of Marlin's better offerings, you chose wisely.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I bought this gun sight unseen, I decided to dissasemble as far as I was comfortable. I found some corrosion on the working end of the lever, some scratching on the inside of the receiver, it had a VERY POOR trigger pull, so I stoned the engaging surfaces just enough to clean them up, cleaned the bore etc. After putting it back together the trigger was improved but still has noticable creep and pull weight is high. I stoned all internal parts with either ceramic or india stone and that slicked up the action considerably. I am involved in a couple other projects right now not firearms related that has pinched the cash flow so I am going to weight for awile before ordering sights. I will continue to take a couple of swipes with the stone to the trigger every time I take it apart until the creep is removed. Overall I really like it. Hope to shoot it this weekend. DW