New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99C .308 Info
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looks like the lever action forum has been taken over by Savage 99's lately.

I'll add my new one to the mix. Just picked up an almost perfect condition 99C in .308 with a Leupold 6X42 M8 on it. This one wears a Monte Carlo walnut stock that is some of the better wood I've seen on a 99.

My understanding is that the Monte Carlo stock is the last iteration of this model, but I don't know what that means in terms of build date. The serial number starts with F, and I can't see any boss code on the receiver. Blued lever, 22" light contour barrel, cut checkering. All there except for the rear sight due to the scope.

The price was right and I've been watching for one in .243 or .308 for several years. Usually, they are above my price, until today.

Any handloading issues that I need to know about?

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Date codes and serial numbers may be looked up here: http://www.savage99.com/dates.htm

The C model with the Monte Carlo stock has been around for quite a while.

Reloading wise the 99 can take just about any .308 load. Because it doesn't have the primary extraction that a bolt action rifle has you must full length resize each time.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Reloading wise the 99 can take just about any .308 load. Because it doesn't have the primary extraction that a bolt action rifle has you must full length resize each time."

There's one of those little gems of wisdom I love this place for. Thanks.

After a bit of searching this rifle is most likely a mid-1990's gun. I'll put up a few photos when I get home. I've wanted one of these for a good while.

Jeremy

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
IMO, based on many of these rifles that have been through my shop, the Savage 99 should never have been chambered for .308- level pressures. Not one single rifle in these cartridges has ever come into my shop that passed a headspace check. It is just not strong enough design for the pressures generated by .308-based cartridges. I'm sure many will disagree with me. stir

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Then is the same true of the .284, .243 and .358's? They run the same pressure too. I'm not arguing I'm just curious.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 308 in a 99EG (rare gun) is my favorite rifle, but as with all 99s in 308,243,284, and modern rounds, I have found its a good idea to load them at 2 grs. short of book max and you will never have any trouble..None of mine show headspace..but if they did then I would neck size them after they have fireformed..One might suggest small base dies but Ive found that not needed.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Looking at the lockup, there isn't near as much metal holding it back as on a BLR with a rotating bolt. I could see wear from use, and a bit of metal deformation from pressure open up the headspace.

John, do you think it is an issue that limits itself? Meaning, the bolt deforms and the locking recess deforms to a point, then it is work hardened enough to stay put?

I have always considered lever actions (save rotating bolt designs) to be weaker relatively speaking. Hence my initial inquiry on handloading.

No problem loading this one moderately. It's a 300 yard gun to me, so a 150 at 2600 will be plenty for most any critter.

Jeremy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I load my 300 sav with 165s at 2400fps the couple dozen deer I shot with them have all died nicely

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 99 locks up in the rear of the bolt..If ones loads are a bit warm, the the lever will drop when you shoot just enough to feel it, back off a grain..Its hard damage a 99 with a hot load but you will separate a case if your too hot, and some book max loads will do that. I had some pressure problems with RL-15 in one Savage, checked the headspace and it was fine but it was separating cases at the head, opened the action a tad and that was a good thing..

I found WW-748 will take a book max load with no problem and H414 will in some rifles..

I don't doubt that some headspace problems crop up in ANY lever action the way some folks just load book max as opposed to working up...What some folks don't seem to realize it only takes one hot load to develop headspace in many cases, its not a progressive thing.

I don't doubt Too Many Tools experiences with the Savage 99, he is a good smith and knows his stuff, but I wonder if being a gunsmith he works on the bad ones..Ive never had a problem and the 99 has been my favorite saddle gun for "Too Many Years" shocker rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote