New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99 optic
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'd like an opinion on an appropriate scope for a mid 50's Savage 99F in .308. I'd like something as trim as possible. Also, it looks like Leupold makes a one piece base. Would the Weaver or Leupold bases allow a lower mount? Thanks for the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I just read the post about this from October. If Any of you have any additional thoughts, I'd like to read them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your 99 is drilled and tapped for normal bases then put Weavers on. It's easy to remove and see the irons over Weaver bases on my 99's with the Weaver mounted scope off.

Get the scope that your eye likes.

Long ago I used Lyman 4X's and now that variables are in a Leu. 2-7 is good.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
If you want the lightest and trimest take a look at the Leupold Ultralights. They come in both fixed and variable power models. I have a 2.5 FXII that's intended to go on my Marlin 1895 GBL. It's a great and very durable little scope.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have weaver bases and a 1.75x5 Burris on mine.

It has killed dozens of deer.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several of my 99s have a Leupold 3X in Weaver or old Redfield mounts, both are very low and unobtrusive on a 99..The older Redfields can be found at a lot of gun shows, and on the net. They have the advantage of windage. That's real good in that you can keep your scope adjustments in the center of its focal plane. More important than most folks understand.

My 99F in .308 has the 3x in Redfields. My base has the "LITTLE BO PEEP" that can be drilled and tapped to the rear of the Redfield, Leupold or Buehler bases, flips up and down. I purchased a few of these some years ago at a gunshow..Sure is a nice set up for back up irons. Weavers give you a clear picture of the barrel mounted rear iron sight when the scope comes off, and they keep the scope low also, they however would be my second choice for the above reasons. You can shim them to get centered focal plane.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I wish, I'd put a Leupold Vari X II on it. They go as low as you can get, the Weaver mounts really do put your right back on target so you can use the iron sights if desired. Good luck with it, DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to post the power of my recommended Leupold Vari X II scope. It would be a 1-4 variable with the straight tube. a distant second choice would be a 2 x 7 x 32. Same Vari X II.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the 2x7x28, the 28 is my favorite of the varibles as it can be seated low an the lower a scope is the better for alternative iron sights or visa versa...But I'll still opt for the wonderful little 3Xm but the scope of scopes was the Leupold Alaskan in 2.5X, hard to find these days and higher n a cats back if you do..I wish Leupold would make another run of them..Better than the old Lyman because the Leupold (about 1981) had the centered reticle and better optics.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote