THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Chemical case coloured. attn:ChuckWagon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chemical case coloured. attn:ChuckWagon
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sir, on the 10th. you mentioned chem.case colour.
What's that ? Different to the old/normal methods ??
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jal,

Techinicly I don't have the real knowledge to answear your question but I can tell you what I think and maybe some others will chime in and let us know if I'm right. TRUE case coloring is a heat process done with bone. It takes a bit of skill. If the metal being treated is over heated or cooled to fast it will warp making the parts being colored useless. I personally have seen several Marlins at the Cabela's in Dundee that were re-done by a hack refinisher. They looked like a thing of beauty on the outside. I had the misfortune of buying one in 32-20 that was a take down octagon. When I got it home the metal had been so poorly case colored and warped it would not even cycle cartridges. It went right back to them. Have you looked at Doug Turnbulls web site ? They can control the type of coloring to some extent like the brilliant colors on a Parker Shotgun to the colors on a SAA.

Chemical case coloring I Gather is just that. The metal is simply treated to give it a pseudo case colored look. The result is more of a crayola crayon hodge podge look reminiscent of what you might leave on the sidewalk after a long nite of drinking or a bad case of the flue. Of course that's just my opinion and others are happy with the chemical coloring. The new Winchesters are all Chemical case colored and it shows. There are special edetions such as the '94 heritage they did a few years back in 44-40 with a limited run of 75 that was the real deal. I'm still trying to get my hands on one of those beauties ! Take a look at the DT site and then try to find photos of a new 1895 that is "case colored" and I'm certain the difference will be very noticeable to you. FWIW usually the case colored versions on the new winnies are more expensive and less durable than the blued finish. The Ruger Vaqaros are hideous in the CC version but a real bargain in SS.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try www.turnbullrestoration.com If you want to PM me your email I'll try to forward some photos this week of the SAA revolver I just got from Doug Turnbull. When I picked it up at the gun shop you should have seen the guys flock around ooohing and aaahing like a bunch of boy scouts looking at a Playboy centerfold !

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote