Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30/30 winchester model 94
 Login/Join

posted
im wondering if someone can tell me weather ii can use polimer tips for reloading in my winchester or is it nogood
thanks mike

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I think I'd be concerned, the tips are pretty hard on those. Of course you can load up any spire tipped bullet you want and just only keep one in the magazine as long as you are happy with a two-shooter, the only issue will be that some spire tipped bullets are too long to cycle through the action if seated out. I must admit that I fiddled around with doing this way back when but decided I didn't gain much of anything by doing it. Back then I was trying to make my M94 (which I did have) into a M70 (which I didn't have) but eventually I saw the light.

However, feel free to experiment and maybe you'll have a different outcome for your needs.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would'nt put balistic tips anywhere near a tubular magazine unless you plug it to only hold one cartridge.
Hornady flex tips in the leverevolution rounds are designed to be used in tubular magazine and produce the same balistics as polymer tips.
I have read that they expand very violently, worse than regular balistic tips, but I have'nt tried them.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Hornady sells their flex tip bullets as components for reloading. This is the route I would go. I'd stay away from the polymer tipped bullets in a tubular magazine......just to be on the safe side.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the LeverEvolution bullets in my 336 with great success. However, I've occasionally wondered if they lose their softness in extreme cold.

Hate to find out the hard way.

Guess I'll put one in the freezer and see.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady has already tested the flex tip bullets in extreme cold(of course) or they could have some lawsuits.

Like others have said, 30-30 is a good 200 maybe 250yd cartridge, if you want better ballistics buy another rifle. Browning BLR's have a box magazine and come in virtually every cartridge, a great little rifle.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fgulla:
Hornady has already tested the flex tip bullets in extreme cold(of course) or they could have some lawsuits.

Like others have said, 30-30 is a good 200 maybe 250yd cartridge, if you want better ballistics buy another rifle. Browning BLR's have a box magazine and come in virtually every cartridge, a great little rifle.

Everyone has their own ideas, based on what they have heard or read, etc., but speaking from experience. We ranged a clay bank at 328 yds. Then settled down to test a '94 30-30 Carbine made in 1950, and a '94 Rifle made in 1901.

Hold-over was very minimal (approx. a "bead" high) with both. We got consistant 3-6" groups at that range using 170gr handloads. I wouldn't be afraid to take a 400yd shot with either one under good circumstances.

I'm not saying that the 30-30 is a long range cartridge by any means, but it will perform pretty well, and much better than most folks give it credit for. Especially when you consider that a good shot with a handgun can knock something down at 300+ yards.

"Isn't it pretty to think so."

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Have used both Hornady Factory and have loaded the FP's.

Both ways shot well.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote