.307/356 win brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone shoot one of these?
I found 30-356 cases and 70-307 cases in my piles of "stuff"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 356. I wouldn't mind havind a 307 but haven't found one at the right price.

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 336 OEM 30-30 rebored/rechambered to 356 Win, by Jes several years ago, http://www.35caliber.com/.

I've tried several 35 cal cast lead bullets from Beartooth, Lazercast and Cast Peformance, but the Speer 220 FP shoots the most accurate in my levergun...~1.25", the others did OK, most around 2" - 2.5" groups at 125 yds with my old eyes and a 4x scope.

I use fireformed 308 Lapua cases for my game hunting and fireformed LC 308 for my plinking/varmint loads, and also 356 Win and 358 W cases. The 356 Win cases are actually slightly stronger, with slightly smaller case capacity than "modified" 308 cases, including 358W cases and the Marlin will handle SAAMI pressures for 308/356 which are the same pressure limits, ~52KCUP.

I have no problem firing/ejecting the cases mixed in the magazine, including 358 Wins as long as whatever case I use is trimmed to 356/358W specs. I reload both using the same set of dies. I also massaged the rifles lever and ejector a bit so I can load and eject 2.60" - 2.65" OAL(depending on the nose shape) loaded cartridges without any problems. Gives me a tad more case capacity. I'm thinking of sending it to Mic McPherson so he can stroke it to 2.73" plus OAL for an additonal bit of "stuff"... Cool...but at last check that was $250 plus shipping Frowner ...I can buy another barrel and built another rifle for that price, almost.

Check him out on Leverguns.com if you're really interested. Lever action shooters and Levergunlovers are two other good sites to check.

I also tried several different cases when testing out the question of rimmed vs rimless case use...7,8mmx57, '06, etc. Sure caused a ruckus on Graybeard and a couple of Levergun forums.

In todays world I wouldn't bother with the 307W even though it is a good cartridge and ever bit the equal of the 308, because the 308 and 308 Marlin Express are available and the ammo is MUCH cheaper than the discontinued 307 stuff...last time I found ANY 307 loaded ammo the guy wanted $55.00 for a box of 18 rounds and two empties...no way Pinocchio.

If you have a single shot like the NEF or levergun like the Marlin you can shoot the 307/308 rimmed/rimless cases, and you might be able to do the same in your bolt gun, at least two of my bolt guns, Ruger and Savage, will load, fire and eject both the resized 356 to 307 rimmed case and 308 rimless cases...try it with an empty case FIRST...it might not work in your gun, it depends on how the headspace was set up and the extractor design.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but I think I remember one of the reloading die makers offering a case forming die for 307 and 356 that utilizes 444 marlin cases. My memory is foggy on this.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a winchester 94 big bore .307. I use winchester .307 cases. I got deals on both the rifle and several hundred cases (winchester brand)

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I rechambered a 35 Remington Marlin 336 into 356 a few years ago. It took a little work on the internals to get it working but it shoots very well. I found the hornady 200gr flex tip bullet to shoot great out of it.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey back40, i know it's been awhile since you posted this, but do you still have the .307 brass?

joe45c

Posts: 25 | Location: peru, new york | Registered: 27 February 2011Reply With Quote