THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re: Front Sight to go with apeture rear?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Front Sight to go with apeture rear?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lyman 17a is a great sight. You can grind down the knurled ring to make it a bit trimmer and svelt if you wish.

It comes with a fair number of inserts, but I prefer Lee Shavers inserts for it (www.egunsmith.com) because he includes a crosswire which I find the best for hunting applications.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Try a Williams fire sight. Great for low light. But not everyone likes them.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want a sight that won't cover too much of the target. I can't shoot very precisely past about 50 yards with the current sights. I don't want a fire sight, I just don't like them, and they just don't look right on a lever gun designed over 100 years ago.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a firm believer in Williams Firesights on woods hunting rifles. I killed a buck last year with a Firesight equipped rifle at ~30 yards, and the Firesight looked like a red laser beam on the buck's side.

Posts: 108 | Location: Northcentral Louisiana | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Marlin 1894 (.44 mag) that I put a Williams FP reciever sight on, and I'm dissatisfied with the factory front sight. I am thinking of installing a Lyman globe front sight on it, or maybe a thin partridge style blade. I'm willing to entertain suggestions though. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried the sourdough front sight, fire sight and many other brass beads.

All are good for something not all are good for everyting.
What do you want it for?
Fast shots under 100 yards? then get a sourdough - square post with center line or the Ashley front sight.

The fire sights tend to "blind" me at dusk and dawn but are fast and allow for precise shooting. The super bright bead tends to make the bacground darker.

I also think a 3/32" brass bead on a skinny post type base is the best all around front sight - although this sight will not be as rugged as the ashley it will bw more rugged than the fire sight.
Marble's makes a good front brass bead front sight.

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience a square post front works best, about 1/8" thick.