Find
Notify
Tools

Model 472 Mossberg
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Several months ago I asked here about the Model 472 Mossberg lever gun in .30-30. None of the answers were discourging, so I made an offer on the rifle (it was at a local gun shop).

It was a "consignment" gun so they told me they couldn't drop the price, but they would ask the consignor if he would accept my offer. Despite my following up several times, they never seemed to come up with an answer.

Anyway, this last week I took my little Toy 4x4 truck in to the transmission shop next to the gun shop for some adjustment. Of course I visited the gun shop while the tranny was being massaged. Whadya know?! The Mossberg was still there, only now not a consignment gun...it belongs to the gun shop, but is still for sale.

I think, "What the heck..." and walk over to the counter to offer one of the partners the same price I offered last January. I say "I want to make an offer on that little Mossberg..." and he cuts me off, saying"I can't take offers, it is on sale as it is, 15% off of tag price. So I ask, "...and how much is that?"

He quotes a price which is sustantially LESS than I offered last January and was going to offer them again. Needless to say, it followed me back to the tranny shop and hopped in the camper and laid down. Must have been lonesome laying ignored in that old gun shop....

On getting home, I looked through my "odds and sods" bins for a possible scope mount. Am pleased to report that standard Weaver #11 bases work fine for both front and rear mounts, using the factory D&T holes. Threw on an ancient Bushnell 3x9 which was covered with dust in the back of the vault.

Bore-sighted it and took it to the range. First two shots were in the black, and found it is tightly chambered. Will not chamber ammo loaded in cases from my T/C Contender which were neck-sized only. I can force the ammo in, but then the ejector won't pull it. Works fine with factory loads though.

On getting home again and wanting to clean it, couldn't really decide whether the bolt should come out with the same ease as a Marlin 336 bolt though it looked as if it would.

Just to be safe, I decided to try to find an owner's manual so I could look at a schematic. Found them at several sites, including eBay and others, but all would end up costing about $10. So, I e-mailed Mossberg and asked if they still could supply one. They sent me a pdf of the manual by return e-mail, and told me that if the pdf wouldn't download/print well enough for my use, they'd be happy to send me a hard-copy gratis. Gave me the personal e-mail address of one of their service reps in case I needed to ask for that. Nice people.

So, yes, one of the things the owner's manual tells you is that to clean it you should remove the bolt and clean from the cartridge end. Gives instructions for doing that, and it's even easier than the Marlin bolt removal. (You don't need a screwdriver.)

So far must say I am pleased. Think it is a good little rifle and am surprised it didn't sell better. Really like the way the trigger moves with the lever so you can't pinch your finger regardless how quickly you try to operate it.

Also really like the hammer block safety on the left side. Allows you to drop the hammer by pulling the trigger on a live round, with no possibility of it going off. Kinda nice to have on all the time when unloading the magazine, or trying a new bullet to make sure it will work through the action.

Will post here if I run into any problems with it, but must say, for $200 or less, is a heck of a fine little woods gun so far!

)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
nice score!!!
whenever i procratinate over such things i go back and find there gone!
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote