Find
Notify
Tools

Volcanic Rifle
 Login/Join

posted

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
How do I make these pictures show up in my post?

Here's the deal.

I am building this Rifle. Some of you Folks might enjoy watching it come together if I could post pictures of what and how I'm doing it.

I don't like doing it like this. There must be an easier way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First thing you'll have to do in order to get your pictures into your post is you'll have to have them some place on the internet. Many people sign up with a website called PhotoBucket, but any website that allows photos to be uploaded will work.

Once you have the pictures sized appropriately (640x480 pixels works good) and uploaded, then you come here.

Start a thread like you've done here and type in what ever you wish. When you want a picture to appear, type in the following without the quotes.

"[img]"url of the actual photo and then close it with the html command "[/img]"

The picture should now appear in the post.

What I usually do is have AR.com open in one tab of my browser. Then I open another tab and go to my pictures. I find the picture I want in the post and right-click on it. I select "Properties" and highlight the entire URL, right-click again and select "Copy".

Clicking on the AR.com tab, I type the "[img]" and then right-click immediately behind the bracket, pasting the URL of the photo and follow it up with the "[/img]"

It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is, and once you get used to the process, it really is quite painless...

Does this help?

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
OK, try again.

Well, looks like that will work,

Thanks Shof.

This image comes and goes, I am completely baffled! Sometimes it shows up and sometimes it is just a little red X !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whew! I wasn't sure if I did a decent job of explaining. There are some things that while might seem easy to do, aren't easy to put into words for someone else to understand.

I'm glad it worked for you.

posted Hide Post
DAMM, now all I see is a little red X !

Well it came back, Man, I don't know what is happening!

It's gone again ! ! ! ! ! ! !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either something is wrong with the site that you uploaded the picture to, the picture isn't there anymore, the picture was moved to a different folder or the link is broken.

posted Hide Post
OK, I'm gonna try "Photobucket"

It has been correctly noted that this gun will shuffle, shoot, and shuck the "22 Short", also the (sometimes available) 41 Derringer.

Even though these are an improvement over the original "Rocket Ball", I am not very impressed with either of them.

The actual caliber of the #2 Rocket Ball was .41. So that is why I set out to develope my own cartridge.

I figured it like this; if I can't build my own cartridge, then I'm not gonna be able to build this gun.

I do agree somewhat with the Guys that would want this gun in "22 Short", it's not for me, but it would make a nice little Squrrel Gun.

I shortened a 40 S+W case to .550, I reamed out the inside to accept the Bullet. The Cartridge shown is loaded with "Berry's 135 grain" copper plated bullet being shoved out of an 8" barrel at 1020 FPS in front of 4 grains of "Bullseye". I have fired this Cartridge out of a 25" barrel and lost nearly 100 FPS ! I don't like this load as it does show signs of pressure.

My favorite load is a 140 grain cast bullet in front of 3.5 grains of "Power Pistol", here I am getting 895 FPS, and visual inspection shows only moderate pressure.

The Cartridges shown above are shown in compairson to "22 Long Rifles"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, on the Nov. 17th post where you say "Well, looks like that will work," the url/web address for the photo is

http://photos.imageevent.com/n...crifle/icons/Gun.JPG

And your post today shows the url/web address to be:

http://photos.imageevent.com/n...icons/Cartridges.jpg

The url/web address HAS to be EXACT as well. Even something as simple as typing .JPG when the file name is .jpg will make a difference.

posted Hide Post
It looks like "Photobucket" is working for me, so I will go with it.

About that Rifle;

The Volcanic, built by the "New Haven Arms Co." was the Grand Father of the Winchester.

It goes like this; The Volcanic was enlarged to become the "Henry", the "Henry' was improved to become the "Winchester 66", the 66 became the 73, the 73 was enlarged to become the 76, and Winchester was well on it's way to become the legend that it is. All these Rifles used the "Toggle Link" Bolt system, adequate for the time, but not nearly strong enough for modern high pressure cartridges.

The Volcanic shot a little cartridge called the "Rocket Ball". From what I can gather, the 40 Caliber was only .650 Lg. (about). This Rocket Ball was very anemic (I saw somewhere it had 78 Ft Lbs of Energy) and there were other problems because it did not have a case to seal the hot gases and no rim to extract it in case of a Mis-fire, (which was often).

But, this little Rifle sure was nice to look at. And it had the genes to become a legend.

In order for my Rifle to have the same overall shape and size as the original Volcanic, I had to develope my own Cartridge that would cycle through that Sexy Little Action.

I shortened a 40 S+W so that it has an overall length of .805. I have been loading it with a 140 bullet, being shoved with 3.5 grains of Power Pistol. I am getting over 900 feet per second out of this load. The picture above shows my Cartridges in compairson to some 22 Long Rifles.

Although my Rifle is much more powerful than the original (close to 300 Ft Lbs of energy) it is a fun gun, not nearly a good choice to hunt with or do precision shooting, it is just a beautiful, fun to build, fun to shoot Rifle.

Think of it as an exotic vacation from what you ordinarily shoot.

I hope you enjoy it and maybe learn something.

One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
I will be paying attention for sure!

You have an ambitious project here and I look forward to seeing it progress.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
OK, let's get started.

This is a basic Barrel Blank by Douglas. It is 1.300 O.D., I will put it between Centers and turn it end to end, 1.25 and then cut off each end to have a barrel 25.09 Lg. (the rifleing is not perfect at the very ends is the reason you cut off both ends.)

posted Hide Post
The breech thread.

Useing the Tail stock Center, I single pointed this 11/16-20 UN Thread.

posted Hide Post
Muzzle Extension with Left Hand Thread (will explane later)

Switched ends and did it again. Except this is an 11/16-20 LH Thread.

This is the Magazine Block. It is 1.25 OD X .625 ID, and that 11/16-20 LH thread in one end. I will install it on the Barrel before milling so that the flats and trench will line up.

posted Hide Post
Now that we have the Barrel Turned and brought to length, we take it to the Mill and bring the outside to an Octogon and mill a .281 Radius along the bottom for the Magazine tube.

I like to use a double vice setup when milling these long barrels.

This is a barrel from a previous job, but the idea is the same.

posted Hide Post
Here she is, off the Milling Machine.

Close up of the Breech Thread,

The Magazine Block

posted Hide Post
The Barrel is now ready to have the magazine tubes soldered in.

The Magazine tubes were made from 5/8 OD, X 7/16 ID, AISI ~ 1018 Mechanical tubing.
I cut them to length, 5.030 for the Magazine Block, 19.281 for the Barrel. Turned the OD to Ø.562, and we are ready to solder.
With some good clamps and holding your mouth just right, you can get a good soldering job.
I made the clamps shown here from 1/4 X 1 Flat Bar
I prepared the parts,
fluxed them,
heated them and applied solder,
spread the solder with steel wool over the area that wants to be mated with the other part,
(both parts)
clamped them together with the clamps,
layed short lengths of solder (.38 Lg.) every 2" or so on the joint.
heated the entire Assembly from underneath until the solder melted and ran down into the joint.
Added a little more solder to the joint.
Let them cool, removed the clamps, and spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning them up.

posted Hide Post
And this is where we are are.

Closeup of the Muzzle

The Breech.

The Magazine Block removed.

posted Hide Post
About that Left Hand Thread;

There is a protruding tab under the Barrel that is pushed toward the Action by a long spring. this Spring pushes the Cartridges back into the Action where they are lifted up and shoved into the Chamber by the Bolt. To load this Gun, this Tab is pulled up into the Magazine Block, compressing the Spring in front of it, the Magazine Block is un-locked and rotated Clockwise about 35º exposing the Magazine tube for droping the Cartridges into it. This Rifle with the 25" Barrel will hold 25 shots and one in the Chamber.

On the original "Volcanic", and "Henry", the Magazine Block was held on the Barrel extension by a collar which had the front sight mounted to it. This collar did not rotate but allowed the Magazine block to rotate, it also had a recess milled in the front that served as a stop to limit the rotation of the magazine Block.

In keeping with the method and spirit of the original, my Rifle opperates the same as theirs, however, I have designed a different way to retain the rotating Magazine Block and limit the rotation. My Magazine Block is held on the Barrel extension by this Left Hand thread. The thread is timed so that when it is bottomed out, the tubes line up with each other. The reason for the Left Hand thread is so that as the Magazine Block is rotated Clockwise, it backs away from the Barrel instead of tightening into it.

Notice the tube has had a .25 Lg. plug pressed into it, blocking off the front. It has also been bored out to Ø.500 to accept the Locking Sleave which I have yet to make, or explain how it works.

The next thing I will do is mill that Slot along the underneath of the Barrel, and then make the Lock Sleave, then wind a spring and make the Cartridge Pusher.

Later my Friends,

Charlie

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reverenddan:
I will be paying attention for sure!

You have an ambitious project here and I look forward to seeing it progress.

Yeah, but that will keep me out of trouble for a while. Here is a Pistol this Rifle will go with.

Shuffle, shooting and shucking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neat project.

Posts: 1293 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ok,

this is for you Reverndan, you Zola and Shof.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote