New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scoping a 99
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I finally decided to put a scope on my 53 vintage Savage 99F. My choice of bases was decided when a friend gave me some NIB Weaver bases. I installed the rings and noticed the rear was tilted back toward the butt. By installing the rings on an old steel tubed Weaver scope I was able to epoxy bed the rear. Lee case lube makes a great release agent, by-the-way. If anyone is considering this, I'm sure the one piece Redfield type would be easier to bed if need be, but it's been a fun challenge. Since this is my first 99, I don't know if my experiences are par for the course.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I installed the rings and noticed the rear was tilted back toward the butt.

The high end of the rear base should be towards the back.

Why did you epoxy bed it I have seen no need to do so on ay of my 99s with scopes that used weaver bases.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The high point goes to the rear....so that's why I had to grind so much off! Actually, if it's possible to mess something up I'm usually guilty of doing it. At first I thought perhaps the ring heights were mismatched, something I've tried before. But the contours of the receiver, the base, the rings, or possibly all three were off enough to create alignment problems. I've scoped my share of bolt guns but never a 99, and I've never had any issues with Weaver bases/rings before. I posted to help out any other newbies who might encounter the same problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a one piece base for the 99. It is redfield style and you will need the redfield rings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF using Talley rings, on your M99, is something that you'd like to pursue, contact:

Roff Billingsley -of-

Billingsley & Brownell
620 Broadway, WO 82836

He requires that your M99 receiver be sent to his shop. He makes steel - 2 piece - ANY Height - Talley mounts and hand-fits them to your receiver.

Please note, that Mr. Billingsley doesn't have, or use a computer, or the Internet, or email and doesn't have, or use a FAX machine.

All arrangements (shipping - completion - invoicing/payment) are made, in advance, with him personally, over the phone. He's very pleasant to deal with and yes, he does answer his phone.

His work and workmanship is 1st quality, as you'd expect, in every respect, from an 'old-school' gunsmith. He's not suffering from lack of work.

Just thought I'd add to the scope mount options for your M99. The Talley mounts also provide you with the option of using the Talley QD receiver/peep sight as the situation may dictate.

You may already be aware, but in the event that you're not, you need to make sure that the length of your scope's tube, between the ocular and objective bells is long enough for the M99 ring placement. It's longer than it looks.

A few photos (LOW Height):

Good luck!!

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
What scope are you putting on it? I've got a 99F coming to me. I'm trying to decided on a scope. I'm thinking something simple like my Dad had a straight 4x.

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weaver makes scope bases just for the Savage 99. Went thru this process a couple of years ago on my 1959-ish Savage 99 featherweight. Had no trouble at all. USed Weaver Rings. The previous base/mount had a defect

My scope is a early-60's Weaver K4 Post & Cross hair. the post is great in low light and brush.

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive owned probably 20 Savage 99Fs from the 1950s and Weaver rings and bases worked on every one of them..I presently own two 99Fs and 3 99 EG's and Weaver bases would work on them just fine..The only thing that could be a problem with yours is that the receiver had been ground, maybe reblued after that by some wacko..I am a Savage collector BTW..Something is definatly wrong with yours and I would be inclined to suggest that the rear ring is on backwards in which case it would point UP! A picture would help you solve what may be a really bad problem, even a dangerous situation.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scopes on my 99f's are mounted with Weaver rings and bases.

I could see the open irons over those bases if I needed to.

The scope would be easy to temporarily remove in the field with a coin to loosen the side screws on the rings.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the interest. I am using an old Leupold 4x28mm. I have a compact Leupold 4x but the tube is just a bit too short. I wish I had taken a few photos before I bedded the base. I'll try an get some tomorrow of the base. originally if the scope was attached to the rear base and the front band was removed, the tube at the front base would rise a few millimeters. Not so much that I couldn't torque the scope down and make it fit, but that's not the way I like to do things.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put 1 piece base on my 250-3000 long ago .Problem is my Leupold scope only moves in rings so far you cannot move scope front/back much..So you can only get so much eye relief .
Something to thing about ...

Posts: 110 | Location: wilds of pa .... | Registered: 31 December 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparantly you need to shim the rear base to bring the front down..Never force a scope down and put a bind in it as it will not hold its zero..I suspect the guns been over polished and reblued and the action is out of specs..you can shim it in the rear, or you can surface grind the action to specs..I would like to see some good close up photograhs and I can tell you exactly what to do.

However, I am fully concienced you have the rear base on backwards, knock it off and turn it around.

If you glassed the front ring up to fit, then you will not have enough adjustment in your scope as your cross hairs will not be in the center of you focal plane, and that in itself is problematic..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote