THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    25-35 win trails end where did the disapear to?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-35 win trails end where did the disapear to?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was going to buy one of the new trails ends model 94s in 25-35 win.I saw two on gunbroker and I figured that they would be around everywhere soon.I have not seen any more for sale anywhere.Has any one seen any reciently?

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Rifle serial #3/222 is (or at least was) available at Grice's Gun Shop in Clearfield, PA for $3999.95.

(814) 765-9273
http://www.gricegunshop.com
sales@gricegunshop.com

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of recoilpad
posted Hide Post
Dgr416,
I bought mine about six months ago along with the .38-55 Win. I haven't looked lately, but I think you are right. These rifles have not been showing up. The gentleman that I bought these from said they were not moving very fast.

"Big ears doesn't make you a good listener, but big feet will tell on you." - Mr. Bill Clinton

Posts: 339 | Location: Texas via Louisiana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recoilpad:

I was surprised to read about your observation that the 25-35 Win. was not selling very well.

I am of an age where I remember the 25-35 very well. (Local farmers kept it and I fired it occasionally as a boy. I was unimpressed with it because the 22 Hornet was current for use on foxes and chucks (and which I owned) and the 30-30 served me for deer. Nonetheless, I appreciate that a collector would value the rifle. (I, too, always have liked lever action rifles) It is people like you that preserve old time firearms and to the credit of history. (Otherwise I have to watch TV and movies where cartridge revolvers and rifles are being fired in 1840 (to pick a date!) Smiler

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of recoilpad
posted Hide Post
Hi gerry375:
I am a big fan of the .25-35 Win. I have a Model 94 in .25-35 that was built in 1949. It shoots great and has hardly any recoil. When I heard that Winchester was making new ones, I had to have one. I actually bought the .25-35 and the .38-55 at the same time. They are still NIB. I really don't have any feel for the market of any caliber or rifle as I do not sell them, but the gentlman that I bought the rifles from told me that neither caliber is selling very fast from his shop. He sells more .30-30's in Model 94's than any other caliber. In fact, he told me that he has sold more .410 ga in the Model 94 than the .25-35.

"Big ears doesn't make you a good listener, but big feet will tell on you." - Mr. Bill Clinton

Posts: 339 | Location: Texas via Louisiana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my 25-35 for the 2nd time yesterday. Has recoil along the lines of an SKS. You can really stay on target. Does anyone know if necks will be too thick if I go down from 30-30 brass rather than purchase 25-35 brass?

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Our local dealer has had 4 of these rifles on order for me and another couple of fellows (I ordered two) for the last 8 months, and has not been able to get ANY from any wholesale jobber. Same is also true with the Remington (Baikal) Spartan .45-70 double rifles.

Getting to be a hell of a note when I order four catalogued new rifles at full manufacturer's retail prices, wait months, and don't get any of them. No wonder American manufacturers aren't making the profits they want.........

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has any one seen any more 25-35s in the trails end hunter model?I saw a new high grade it was $2800 .I could kick my butt for not buying one of the two 25-35 trails end hunters on gun broker.

posted Hide Post
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=40507752

Got mine last Spring, and have been really encouraged by its accuracy. My primary load is 27gr. of Re. 10 and a 86gr. Remington bullet. The cannalure is not in the right place, but has been pretty easy to work with anyway. I also shot a deer with mine and 23gr. of the same powder and Hornady's 117gr. bullet. At 60 yards it was a pass through with good expansion and quick death/no tracking. I'm dissapointed to hear it wasn't more popular.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How nice it would be to see a 94 .25-35 with a 26" barrel, half magazine, and shotgun butt.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Vigillinus,

What you describe is very close to my model 64 in 25-35. It shoots great. I have yet to draw blood with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
dimrod, a 64 .25-35 is a real prize, there can't have been many made.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could kick my butt.I could have bought a model 64 25-35 about 7 years ago.It had been refinished but who cares.I also missed out on a heavy barreled 25-35 for $250.The guy was refinishing the stock and wanted to sell it.I had just bought a Winchester Model 24 20 ga shotgun for $500.I think I will really like a new trails end hunter 25-35 if I ever find one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, recoilpad:

I was fascinated to read that you have a 38-55, NIB. I have been around guns all my life (I'm 75) -and never saw a 38-55 although I heard about the caliber, of course. I don't know how you restrain yourself from getting out to shoot it as fast as you can get ammo for it! Smiler (I never was a reloader but where do you get the info on how to load for a 38-55?) Smiler

I was pleased as a matter of sentiment to read that your dealer told you he sold more 30-30s in Mod.94 than any other caliber. It still probably plants more deer than a lot of fancier calibers because when properly placed, the deer goes down. However, back to the 38-55. Please give us range figures (groups) and with what sights. ( I will allow you to use a tang peep sight, no more!) Smiler

one of us
Picture of recoilpad
posted Hide Post
Smiler
Hi gerry375.
I purchased the .38-55 along with a .25-35 back in May. It is the new Winchester 94 Trails End. I love the trails end. I haven't shot either yet. I have a Marlin 336 Cowboy in .38-55 that I have shot, but not much. The ammo is expensive. I don't reload so I have been shooting some commerative ammo that I bought a while back. It has the nickel case and a 255 gr. bullet. The Marlin (or I should say myself) groups about 2" at 50 yards with the open sights. I believe the rifle will do better than I can. It has a long barrel though. I have a Marlin 375 that I actually hunt with. I bought some stoked up handloads with 220 grain flatpoints from a fellow at a local gun show. These .375 Winchesters look just like the .38-55, but the case is longer. These reloads shoot hard and will bring a whitetail down. I like hunting with lever actions. I must confess that my Marlin 375 has a scope on it. It is much easier for me to shot this way.

Do you have a .38-55?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buying a 38-55 is reason enough to get into reloading. Kind of like a 38 super. You can really have fun with cast bullets. I killed two groundhogs during deer season with my 25-35. One with a handload. One of those cheapy 20" rifles Winchester is making at present. Shoots well, but has a horrible trigger. The 38-55 is a crazy horse commerative. Great trigger.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recoilpad:

Thanks for the info. It shows how ignorant I was about the 38-55 when I tell you that I had no idea it shot a 255 gr. bullet. A group of 2" with open sights at 50 yards is very impressive to this 75 year old! ( I routinely shot chucks in th head at 75 yards with a 22 when I was very young -and I sadly remember those days!) Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
i am keeping my fingers cross.I am supose to get two 25-35 trails end hunters.I have had about 20 slip through my fingers the last two weeks.I have bought some and the seller backed out.I have had some I ordered get sold top other people.I had one that was paid for and the guy gave me my money back after he bought it himself.Its the hardest gun to find that I have never laid my eyes on.I could have got a heavy barreled 26" Winchester 94 one time for $259.I had just bought a shotgun instead.It was being refinished and lots lots of bluing but was a very pretty rifle.I hope I do get these two.I will shoot one and keep the other in the box till I try to wear the other one out.The 25-35 dies are getting hard to find someone is shooting them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this 25-35 is the hardest I have ever tried to get a gun.I just paid for it and its on its way.There is a 38-55 on gunsamerica.com for $350 today.I dont want one of those because I already have two big bore 94s in 375 winchester.I dont want to get the loads mixed up.I hope this 25-35 shoots as good as reports I have seen.I almost hate to shoot it.They are going for up to $1200 on gunbroker.com.I finally got mine for $440.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Well, you should be quite happy at $440...that was the Winchester recommended sale price for the 20" round-barreled Trail's End model when they announced they were bringing it out. Recommended retail sale price for the 26" octagon- arrel version was exactly double...$880. Considering that there may not ever be any more of them, I'd think a disontinued new gun for the recommended retail price would have to be a bargain for the person who wants one.

Anyway, I had to pay $469 for mine, including the $9 Oregon mandated Instant-Check fee. Of course, as it was already here, I didn't have to pay shipping or a dealer handling fee.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want an original or two call
1 707 764 5744. Ask for Fred.

I made a huge mistake of selling mine just a week or so before Winchesters announcement. I just had to have another rifle. Now I can't afford to go in and buy one even though Fred has left his prices just the same.
He has a large selection (50 or more) older levers.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I have three Winchester Model 94 Trails in hunters coming to me.It took about 50 hours on the phone but I got ahold of a chain store that had 5 coming last Wednesday.I also got some brass and ammo.I am going to shoot one and keep two in the box.I was hoping to get one.I think I had deals on about 20 of these fall through.Some guy said he would sell his for $500 then he backed out and sold it for $900.I am glad its an angle ejection with a safety on it.My girlfriend is going to train shooting with this one.She just passed her hunters ed course.I thinbk its a good gun to break a new shooter into shooting with.I wish my old 30-30 had the tang safety on it .It use to scare me to death loading that 30-30 in the cold.I knew that hammer would slip and I would be in a mess.It never did because I only hunted with it one year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up all three 25-35s today.I am going to shoot one and keep the other two in a box.They looked like older 30-30s from the 60s.I am going to let alot of kids and my girlfriend shoot one of them.I need some dies and brass .I got one box of ammo for $23 today yuck.I bet you can reload it for cheap.