Find
Notify
Tools

I want a new toy!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
I think I have myself talked into a new toy,. I think I want a Marlin in 444 Marlin.

considered the 45-70, but dismissed it because it just seens too "common".

My 2nd choice for cartridges is the 38-55.. I understand Marlin made one for cowboy shooting.

All these calibers would seem to be handy close range (under 100yds) rifles.

the search is on!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1976 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All of these are good choices but if you want power, go with the 45-70. Yes, the CB models are the best due to the cool octagon barrels but they are hard to find.

Posts: 17280 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider the Browning M71. A great piece in a great and somewhat unusual round.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I really like the Marlin 1895. But, if I was looking for a .444 then I would try to find one of the Winchester 94 Big Bore rifles in that caliber. Rifle-to-rifle the Winchester is a slicker and nicer firearm than the Marlin. The Winchester .444 was made in USA and has nicer wood, better checkering, better finish, and a smoother action than the Marlin. They were offered in 18" carbine and 20" rifle versions.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes but they Eject from the TOP. If you want a scope it will be side mount...aka imoh ugly. Marlins eject from the side, scope ready.

PAH

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pa.Frank, I sent you a PM.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a Marlin CB model would be my first choice.

winchester's might be better made, but like PAHunter said, they are ugly. Fugly-ugly to me.

I forgot abou the Browning M71, I'll have to look around ans see what's available.

Thanks for all the replys!

CongoMike: PM sent.

NRA Benefactor.

Posts: 1976 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd also take a .348 Win in a used Win. 71 or a Browning for second choice. Of the calibers you mention I like the 38-55..Its a good killer of deer up to 150 or so yards..My favorite old lever action is the mod. 94 SRC in 25-35 and I have shot a ton of deer, antelope, and a few elk with it over the last 70 years, I think I got it at 10 years old. The last deer I shot with it was three weeks ago, a nice 4x4 at 150 yards. instant kill.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 444 is a hammer. Lobbing 265 grainers at 2340fps with a healthy dose of H4198. I highly recommend them. Like it better then the .45-70 straight grip GuideGuns i have owned in the past...

Scoped:

Posts: 55 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:

winchester's might be better made, but like PAHunter said, they are ugly. Fugly-ugly to me.

Ugly? You gotta be kidding me.

And you have to remember that, unlike the 28,000 psi .45-70, the 42,000 psi .444 Marlin is pushing things close to what the thin walled Marlin barrel shank can stand.

But each to his own.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was an issue with the early Marlins in 444. Which cartridge was news 140 years ago as the 40-63 Maynard, iirc.

They had a 1:38" twist, which limited them to 265 and lighter (shorter) bullets.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 1895 I converted from 444 to 375 JDJ. It is awesome!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:

Ugly? You gotta be kidding me.

And you have to remember that, unlike the 28,000 psi .45-70, the 42,000 psi .444 Marlin is pushing things close to what the thin walled Marlin barrel shank can stand.

But each to his own.

It's the angle eject I find fugly ugly... and I wouldn't take a gun like the one you have pictured into the Maine or Pa woods!

NRA Benefactor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The point I was trying to make is the Winchester becomes ugly when you try and put a side mount on it for a scope.

You have to drill and tap the left side of the receiver. It just doesn't look natural. Then remove the side mount and you have these holes all over the place.

Sorry when you hit 6o ish or older my eyes need a scope to shoot at least 100 yards.

By the way I had two Winchesters in the shop with blow up barrels and receivers. All that proves most of the time is people are in the wrong not the rifles.

PAH.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Do you know what the loads were that blew those Marlins because it was far, far greater than any 42000 PSI.
Case full of pistol powder I assume since that is what all the blowups I see are from.
They grab a can of W296 and load it like W760.

Posts: 17280 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote