THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Need to get an idea of value for an old 94 win...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to get an idea of value for an old 94 win...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Though you guys may be able to help,

I know giving a value quote is impossible without seeing the rifle but I will detail it and and if you could just give me an idea.

From the SN it was built in 1904

The finish on the rifle is actually pretty decent, the barrel is abotu 75% while the reciever is around 50%.

The wood is worn and has a couple little cracks but is in pretty decent shape.

The kicker is that in my bluebook, they only list a 24" barrel length and this one has a 26" octagon barrel as well as a tang mounted peer sight. This is not listed in my book.

From the condition I judged it at, I would say the rifle is worth $700-$800 from the books listing but with the longer barrel and tang sight, I figured it may have come from the Winchester custom shop and be worth more.

Any ideas on value would be great.

Thanks for the information!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one like that also. Mine was made in 1995 and is a takedown with a 26" barrel and a shotgun butt. The thing is that were into collector territory so it's not all that rational what it will bring.

I am interested in what the values are also. Mine has maybe 80% blue but the bore is rotten. It shoots though.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Custom touches like the ones you describe were prevalent during the time your rifle was manufactured, and could very well be factory-made.

I would be be more prone to keep and shoot such a piece than to sell it--especially if in an uncommon caliber. Its caliber can effect value as well. By any chance is this rifle in 32-40 or 38-55? Both of these were popular target calibers in the late 19th Century, and the variations you list lend themselves to target applications--although the 1894 wasn't known primarily as a match rifle.

It sounds pretty cool, in any event.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My customers rifle is chambered for the 30 W.C.F.

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
My M94 32/40 (1922)has a 24" octagonal barrel and full magazine, bore is mint, external finish & timber 95%. Price was $US675.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents, I'm thinking 26" barrels and full length magazines were pretty much the standard for win'94 RIFLES,longer, or shorter, being the exceptions,regardless of how chambered..Maybeso that thinking if because that's the way all of mine are????? Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fiftydriver
ask on leverguns
leverguns

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The standard barrel on a 1894 was a 26" octagon barrel. Any cracks or splits in the stocks, even a single little one greatly detract from the value. If the bore is not dark or pitted I would think in the $800-$1000 range. The tang site alone is worth $150. You can get a factory letter for that gun from the Cody Firearms Museum. The cost is $55. It is unlikely that the tang site was from the factory but any special order features should show up on the cody yellow sheet. Either way a letter of verification increases the guns value and saleability.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you do not state bore condition and that is critical..from your description, I would say its worth about $650.00 to $700.00 with the sight, a little more with a minty barrel, so your about right on your estimate......

I bought one in 80 over all condition about 4 months ago for $800. It had 90% barrel and magazine blue blue 75% receiver blue and very clean wood..shiney bright crisp bore..

I have a 25/35 about the same and value it at something over a $1000 but its not for sale..I would however trade it for a SRC in same caliber that was in like shape and shot well...Maybe....

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Fifty-A good friend of mine died recently that grew up on the Salmon River far from a road that had nothing as far as electricity etc and had a 32 special that fed the family from Deer to Moose and the value of his was disgusting.In the 1930's it did everything and was treated as gold.Mint condition.It met Jack and the rest of the boy's that floated the Salmon and stopped buy for a rest or brew.

His wife(My wifes good freind) was disgusted but needed the money and is as honery as one could be.Life was different then.Williams ranch if anyone has an old map.

Good luck..........Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 32-40 has the 26 inch round but a new replacement stock. It was appraised at about $700 a few years back. 75% with a dark bore but shoots well with hand loads.
My 38-55 also has the 26 inch Oct. barrel and is about %70 with a dark bore that shoots .380 reloads very well. It ran $700 a few years ago as well.

I shoot them both very often and was using black powder in them until last year.
You have a winner with the peep and I would bet that the Cowboy shooters would send your price up if you chose to sell.
I'd study the SASS wire classifieds for a real good look.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, If or when that 25-35 IS for sale.....PLEASE call me first. I know I've said that before and I probably will again.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote