Find
Notify
Tools

Ackley Improved
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
Is any body shooting a lever action in a Ack Improved caliber?
I would like to get your feedback as to how it feeds etc,I have heard that the steep shoulder makes for rough feeding & cycling thru the action,I am trying to settle on a caliber for my next conversion based on a model 71,the extra case capacity sure does sound good with the improved versions.Thanks for your help.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-30 imp and 25/35 imp. Both in Marlin 336 rifles, pre-safety. I can see no difference in feed and function from standard version, and I have marlins in 30-30 and 25/35 too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't have it any more but had a 30-30 ai on an older 336 marlin. feeding was fine

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the responses so far,all good news ,anybody out there with a Win 71 or 1886 shooting a 348 improved or any wildcats off the 348 case?

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
35/348 and 416/348 improved both feed perfectly. The 35 is a second year production and the 416 is a browning. 30/30 Ackley on a model 64a feeds well also.

Posts: 123 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 71 in 348 AI it's been an interesting project

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 450ak:
35/348 and 416/348 improved both feed perfectly. The 35 is a second year production and the 416 is a browning. 30/30 Ackley on a model 64a feeds well also.

I am planning on getting a 71 converted to 416/348,I will appreciate getting more info from you,sending you a PM,thanks.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spooksar:
I have a Model 71 in 348 AI it's been an interesting project

What happened?

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like most gun work, it always depends on who does the work..Properly done the mod. 71, 94, 92 or Marlins work and feed like poop thru a goose.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester M94 in .25/35 Imp. that was a .32 Special when it was made in 1942. It feeds just fine, and had nothing done other than rebarrelling.
My Rossi (Winchester M92 clone) was a .357 Mag, and has been rebarrelled to .256 WinMag, that eventho' not technically an Improved cartridge, feeds just fine.
My Browning M71 in .375/348 AI does what its supposed to, as long as you're careful to keep the OAL in the right place.
You can have fun with these guns as they handle so quickly. Be careful of the larger cartridges, tho', as the drop on these rifles is for quick handling, not recoil reduction. They will push you around a little. Many of my friends that I've let shoot my .375 have had enough after one round, lol.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would like to hear more about the 375/348 imp. If Winchester had made that from the start we might still be able to buy them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
doubtful, the great Win 71 went down the tube mostly because of the cost to build..The bean counters using that kind of business logic didn't take into account the customer, who shortly thereafter put Winchester into Chapter someodd, and Win has been in and out of bank ruptcy ever since...they earned it..Then they put all the good old guns back in production but guess what? they once again took the wrong route and took shortcuts in design and lack of hand work, and the end product was not up to snuff, down the tube again, this next bunch of bean counters is on the same old track and going down hill fast..Perhaps if the fired all those genius' they hire out of college, and hired some old gun nuts, success might return, quality still sells IMO,and a few companies are now finding that out, Lesson learned.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly Ray, you are correct about the demise of Winchester. You can find an original model 70 for about the same money as the new.
My 64A in 30/30 Ackley is becoming my favorite using rifle. The real rifle are getting to be worth to much to drag around all year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester went downb the tube with the .307 and .356 Win and made great claims about they competing with the 308 and 358 but with the shorter case length to fit the 94 it just didn't happen and they quitly and gently disappeared shortly thereafter. The 405 is following in that same game..will they never learn? Maybe someday someone with some experience will gain control of that company and put it back in order, all they have to do is re issue the old guns, but do it right, they just can't seem to copy the original design for some reason known only to the red gods of production. The metal is wrong and the stocks are totally out of design.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120